Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote by Yamazy:

"Again an old lesson from Sveneric Bogsäter Sensei;

If someone shows a form and says that is the way
it is done, who are we to argue. We don't know
whom they in turn learned it from, what was the
situation, was it "basic form" of was it a Henka...

As I noted, over the years I've learned many forms
in different ways, even from the same teachers.
This might be confusing, especially for trainees
migrating from more strictly structured martial
art forms."

This is a very interesting point. Moreso perhaps the consequences of it.

This is why you have to know who your teacher is. Whow did he study with, who taught him what, what is his "connection" to the source. If your teacher shows you many forms, why? Is it to help you get different perspectives? Is it because he himself saw different versions? Did he change his mind about how to do the waza? Is it just to "keep students"? Is it that he doesnt think kata are important and therefore makes up henka as he sees fit? Most important of all, does he have a clue about what he really is trying to teach or is he more interested in teaching?

As for Koku. As mentioned it is the first kata in the list and within it are certain ways of acting with your body when facing an opponent. Together with other waza from Gyokko Ryu it forms a larger entity with a big range of available options. If you, for example, look at the counter-kick. Its not only a question of which leg you kick with, right or left. Which position do you move to in order to make it possible to kick? What target are you aiming at? What is the timing you want to accieve? What happens if something goes wrong? What if there is no kick to counter? You have to take into account each and every possible altercation and the effects that they will have on the waza.

I have been practising for well over 20 years now and just the other evening we were doing a few "extra" Koku before finishing class. Literally from out of the blue came an understanding which I had not had before and which was a direct result of all the previous times Ive done Koku, the recent training in Japan during my last trip there, a discussion with a senior shihan, seing same shihan do the kata, a comment on the Shuto and many many other small bits and pieces. Everything came together and it was suddely clear why certain things are done the way they are. This cannot be written down or explained over the internet, or more correctly, it shouldnt be written down or shared over the net. It should be experienced first hand in real practise. Its all a process and it is an individual such. A few years from now, maybe if the gods are good, Ill get a new flash and change my perception of what is or isnt Koku. For now Im just happy to have gotten such a nice feeling from training.

In short, ask your teacher to show it to you and "on you". Copy his movement until you have it and explore from there. Once you have done it many, many times. If it still doesnt make sense, ask him again or if he cant provide an answer, seek out someone who can. Keep on going and dont give up. Most importantly dont throw Koku away thinking somethings wrong with it!

Regards / Skuggvarg

Posted on: 2013/10/23 0:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor