http://youtu.be/NlrPjUsKsa0

Posted on: 2013/12/6 15:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New documentary featuring Dr. Kacem Zoughari
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager

"A documentary film is a nonfictional motion picture intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a historical record"

Okay, I guess you could call it a documentary. I think Infomercial would also be appropriate.

Marty

Posted on: 2013/12/6 19:16

Frequent Visitor
Group:
"An infomercial is a television program that promotes a product in an informative and objective way."

Using the term "infomercial" would be completely inappropriate. Exactly what product is being promoted in the video?

Posted on: 2013/12/6 21:19

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
The Kacem Brand has been pretty polarizing in the past, probably has not changed much recently.

If there was information on the video that was unique or new to you then it served your purpose of informing.

I feel it reminds me very much of "The Power of the Wave" which I liked early in my training too.

Marty

Posted on: 2013/12/7 10:31

Frequent Visitor
Group:
What is the "Kacem Brand" exactly?

I've been training for twenty years. Thank you for the condescension, though. It allows me to understand the character of the person I'm interacting with. Or the lack thereof, as the case may be.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 11:27

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Note!

Maybe it's my English, it is my second language, that makes me read the previous messages in a weird way, not so civil in the underlining tone....

Posted on: 2013/12/7 15:24
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Well, that's the problem with internet anonymity, isn't it? I posted a very well done video documenting certain aspects of Bujinkan training. Not only does this person act as though it was spam, he condescends to me as well.

As a suggestion, perhaps the person could have simply refrained from commenting in the first place if he couldn't put aside the obvious bias he has against Dr. Zoughari.

Personally, I was hoping for some discussion on why people liked or did not like specific content of the documentary.This being a discussion forum, after all.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 16:24

Honorary Villager
From Koshigaya, Japan
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Mate Great link, I enjoyed the film!

Kacem and Ishizuka Sensei are great!!

Cheers Graham

Posted on: 2013/12/7 21:41
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are nothing but targets, nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them, they make the battle... AH but ONE, one of them is a Warrior... he will bring the others back - Hericletus c. 5...

Active Kutakian
Group:
1. It's easy to say that he is questioning the validity of the technique due to effectiveness, it's different when you are doing something to really validate it's effectiveness.

2. If Ninjutsu and/or Koryu is supposed to be effective at any setting, including MMA (his words), well the proof is in the pudding: where's the pudding?

3. His account of ninjutsu is majorly focused on assassination. Historical documentation of ninja assassination please. I don't know (and if it did, I didn't catch it) any point in the video that he references ninjutsu as intelligence gathering, which has documentation from various sources.

4. He talks too much in the class setting. His uke's tsuki sucks, instead of addressing that technical deficiency, he focuses on the higher stuff of strategy, tactics and philosophy.

MY final verdict: actions speak louder than words, and his actions don't speak much.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 4:16

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

Frequent Visitor
Group:
“It's easy to say that he is questioning the validity of the technique due to effectiveness, it's different when you are doing something to really validate its effectiveness.”

This sentence makes no sense. Perhaps you could try rewording it and providing an example of what you are specifically referring to in the video.

“If Ninjutsu and/or Koryu is supposed to be effective at any setting, including MMA (his words), well the proof is in the pudding: where's the pudding?”

Dealing with your grammar is difficult. Your fondness for cliché even more so. What exactly are you asking for here?

“His account of ninjutsu is majorly focused on assassination. Historical documentation of ninja assassination please. I don't know (and if it did, I didn't catch it) any point in the video that he references ninjutsu as intelligence gathering, which has documentation from various sources.”

If you had bothered to read the description accompanying the video, you would have known that it was culled from a two hour interview. There are many other interviews with Dr. Zoughari available on the internet as well. Dr. Zoughari has written and spoken extensively about ninjutsu. If you’re not fond of heavy reading, you can always email Dr. Zoughari or attend one if his seminars. I’m sure he would happily accommodate you.

“He talks too much in the class setting.”

The majority of the “class setting” footage you are referring to was culled from various seminars. So they aren’t actual classes in the normal sense of the term. Dr. Zoughari told me that the way he teaches a class is different from the way he instructs at a seminar. Over the years I have had the opportunity to experience the teaching style of many different Bujinkan shidoshi. That virtually all of them seemed to enjoy the sound of their own voice as much as they enjoyed standing around led me to the conclusion that this was a contributing factor to their lack of skill and understanding. By comparison to them, Dr. Zoughari was virtually silent. In my personal experience, Dr. Zoughari doesn’t speak more or less than is necessary to convey a particular lesson or answer a question.

“His uke's tsuki sucks, instead of addressing that technical deficiency, he focuses on the higher stuff of strategy, tactics and philosophy.”

Which uke are you referring to exactly? Dr. Zoughari trained with various uke in the practice footage. Could you provide an example of which uke you are referring to and why you feel that this person’s tsuki was deficient? Whenever I trained with Dr. Zoughari, he never hesitated to point out any deficiencies with my movement.

“MY final verdict: actions speak louder than words, and his actions don't speak much.”

More cliché. The first problem with cliché is that it always fails as a substitute for sincerity while simultaneously exposing the writer’s inability to form their own thoughts and express them lucidly. The second problem is that literally it makes no sense. Actions don’t speak louder than words because they can’t actually speak.

I’m going to speculate here and suggest that when you watched the video you saw what you wanted to see. Perhaps you had an agenda and a bias against Dr. Zoughari. Perhaps at this point you would expect me to say that you are entitled to your opinion. But I don’t believe that. I believe that you are entitled only to your informed opinion.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 9:10

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor