Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Rope climbing doctrine
Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Looking for traditional instruction in hardcopy of climbing, descending, suspending and whatnot. I cannot find any existing literature, only word of mouth or hands on training from people. Specifically how it was done in the feudal era without the help of carabiners, harnesses or other modern equipment, which I am very familiar with. A manual of some shape or form must exist. Please do not interpret this as me wanting a substitute for safe, supervised, hands-on instruction, just want to see how it was done without all my fancy climbing gear.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 9:41

Re: Rope climbing doctrine
Active Kutakian
From Boston, MA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Sounds like this is your specialty. How 'bout compiling the word of mouth and hands on training you've learned into a guide for the rest of us?

;)

I was looking for something similar a while back and had little luck, but that's not saying much. I did learn how to properly shimmy up and down a length of normal hemp rope though, which was my goal at the time. Surprisingly easy!

Word of mouth, I learned (as it sounds you have) that there was quite a bit on this--in terms of demonstrations at least--from Hatsumi Soke and others back in the day. Some of it sounded really, really interesting.

Honestly, I think that word of mouth is going to be your best bet, but I could be mistaken. Good luck in your search!

Posted on: 2013/12/9 23:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor