Anyone tried Rosetta Stone? 20 2017/12/10 13:18
fskopfpatro
BladesPro 14 2017/12/9 17:45
fskopfpatro

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo!
Deleted_
Greetings, Buyu. I would like to get different meanings and interpretations of "Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo" I understand that the phrase comes from one of the scrolls (i am not sure which one) that Takamatsu-sensei gave to Hatsumi-sensei. Is that correct? Thanks! -Adam

Posted on: 2003/2/11 6:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Shiken Haramitsu Daikomyo!
Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
村民 :: Villager
詞韻波羅密大光明

Shikin is a phrase which I've heard described variously as "word and sound" and as a formal oppening to Buddhist prayer. I could not find the kanji for shikin in any of my dictionaries. Perhaps somebody else can help us out here?

The Haramitsu part is the Japanese pronunciation of the Sanskrit term "paramita". Prajna Paramita concludes the Heart Sutra of Mahayana Buddhism. Paramita is translated as going beyond or supreme (prajna paramita = supreme wisdom).

Daikomyo means enlightenment.

The Israeli Bujinkan Organization website has an
article which both translates the terms and describes the meaning and origin of the entire prayer.

http://www.bujinkan.org.il/modules.ph ... News&file=article&sid=132

Posted on: 2003/2/11 13:31

詞韻波羅密大光明
Deleted_
"Every experience is valuable, and offers the chance for enlightenment"

詞韻波羅密大光明

Posted on: 2003/2/11 15:32

Re: 詞韻波羅密大光明
Deleted_
Well..I loved the Israeli Bujinkan site. A ton of great info. However..it did lead me to my next question. "Ninpo Ik-kan Magokoro Ni Masare". Is that said ONLY at the end of each class, or also at the beginning of class before "Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo"? Also, is it "Old school" like Doron "old school"? I look forward to hearing more about this! Thanks, buyu! -Adam

Posted on: 2003/2/19 15:44

Re: Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo!
Villager
From Fresno Ca
Group:
I was once told and I pretty sure that I read it somewhere that it comes from the Kumogakure Ryu scroll.....oh if i'll I could sit down for like ten minutes with that thing..... and that I could actually read Kanji.

Posted on: 2003/2/20 9:04

Onegeishimasu...
Deleted_
Onegeishimasu... Minna-san wa..shitsumon ga arimasu. "Magokoro Ni Masare" wa Eigo de nanto imasu ka?

Posted on: 2003/2/22 1:54

Permanent Village Fixture
From Northeast Pa, USA
Group:
Well, here's one interpretation that I found interesting. It's from the Quest web site.

Quote:
Rumiko Urata Hayes offers another interesting way to interpret the phrase. We can see SHIKIN at one end and DAIKOMYO at the other, both leading inwards to the center of HARAMITSU. Such multidirectional reading is possible in Chinese and Japanese, though difficult to conceive of in Western languages.

This leads to the interpreted meaning of, “All that we hear and all that we see can lead to the perfection of wisdom.”

John Price

Posted on: 2003/2/25 7:17

Deleted_
This is something I put together for my students. It is based on many years of reserch. I hope you might find it helpful.

-Rick

After Mokuso, I turn to face the kami dana (I will talk more about Kami Dana in a latter post) I raise my hands to Gassho. Gassho is symbolic of unity, yin and yang (or in/yo in Japanese) duality coming together. We strive to unite heaven and earth, body and spirit, life and death. We pledge to find that aspect of us that is beyond birth and death and is pure, and to live each moment of our life from that part of ourselves.

I then say chihaya furu, kami no oshie wa, tokoshie ni, tadashiki, kokoro mio mamoruran.

Chihaya furu means "1000 quick shakes" and refers to the "Harai Gushi" or paper streamer wands, that a Shinto priest shakes to purify an area, such as in this case where we are about to invoke the kami.

The rest of the prayer is hard to translate into English but I will try...

Kami = "God” no ='s or of so it means, the God's or "belonging to God" or "from God" (and god here is not the guy with the white beard, but something indescribable)

Oshie = teachings; precept; lesson; doctrine wa indicates what it is we are referring to in this case it points to "oshie"

tokoshieni = everlastingly

tadashiki = right; just; correct; righteous; honest; truthful; proper; straightforward; perfect

kokoro= mind; heart; spirit

mio mamoruran= to defend one's self

So, what do we have? One way of putting it together is as follows:

The teachings of heaven will protect your entire being for eternity, if you have a correct; righteous; honest; truthful; proper mind/heart/spirit... this is the most literal way of translating this prayer.

Next I say, Shikin haramitsu daikomyo

Shikin = a heart or actually kokoro as I listed above that has four aspects which are:
• Kiyoki Kokoro - a heart of jewel like clarity and brilliance
• Makoto Kokoro - a heart of sincerity
• Naoki Kokoro - a childlike heart without the desire to deceive
• Tadashiki Kokoro - a heart which seeks justice
Haramitsu= It is the Japanese phonetic rendering of the Sanskrit word "paramita" which is perfection of which there are ten. This comes from Buddhism and they are as follows:

1) The Perfection of Generosity or Liberality:
This paramita should not be misunderstood to mean merely material giving, or being kind to someone lower than you. Perfecting generosity is not when you are looking down upon someone. The practitioner here opens up and communicates with the needs of others, without selfish judgment or evaluation. It is the openness to give without fear and at any moment, without desire to receive something in return.
Generosity includes the fearless dedication to aid others and protect them. It also includes the supreme gift of giving the dharma to others.
2) The Perfection of Morality or Ethics:
The practitioner should cease committing wrong actions. One continuously strives to mentally, physically and verbally produce merit and virtue, and of course to act for the benefit of others. The Bodhisattva’s morals, though, are not a set pattern of right and wrong or laws. It is an openness and willingness to not discriminate between this and that. Instead, pure morality falls into appropriate patterns and precise actions at every single moment. It is beyond rigidity.
3) The Perfection of Patience:
The ability to deal with difficult circumstances and possess completely certainly with the dharma is true patience. Patience does not mean dropping dead from exhaustion; it means dropping all one’s expectations! One should never be shocked or expect something as a dharma person.
4) The Perfection of Strenuousness:
To delight in engaging in virtuous actions and the refusal to turn back is apart of this paramita. One is constantly joyous and does not feel life is boring, but instead, opens to every situation with life and interest.
5) The Perfection of Meditative Concentration:
In the state of tranquility one has control over the mind, always remaining joyful and acquiring positive realizations.
Perfecting meditation does not mean that one is just practicing formal meditation or living in an everlasting trance. Instead one is always aware of practice and never ceases, awake to life and its situations.
6) The Perfection of Insight:
Here, one realizes the relative and ultimate reality of existence. It is the transcendence of one’s conceptions and habitual thoughts, the end of dualism and the king of all the other paramitas. The Bodhisattva is no longer irritated by emotions, attachment and aversion. One cuts through discrimination and sees existence just as it is.
7) The Perfection of Beneficial Expediency:
This is the ability to show those who are suffering how to rise up and transcend their suffering. The bodhisattva uses skillful means as a way to accomplish the benefit of others.
8) The Perfection of Devoted Resolution:
This is the ability to teach the Bodhisattva vehicle to those who are narrow minded or follow a distorted path.
9) The Perfection of Power:
This is the usage of skillful means to aid others and bring them unto the path.
10) The Perfection of Transcending Awareness:
This is the wisdom which transcends duality and abides in complete equanimity.

daikomyo= a great, large radiating light. Like a nuclear reaction, a pure light the light of god that goes on forever and extends to the limits of the universe.

So what this means is that if your "heart" has these four aspects, it will naturally develop in you these 10 perfections, once realized, you will radiate the light of God. This is another way to say you will become enlightened.

There is more Kuden on all of this, but of course, this will be from my mouth to your ear. All in due time...
Why do we clap and bow? We clap because in Shinto this is called, Haku Shu (purification by hand clapping) which is clearing our surrounding environment of any stagnated vibrations through the intentional use of sharp sound. This spiritually clears the Dojo and "cleans" it so it is a proper place for the kami to visit. We bow once to ask the kami to be with us during training, to protect and teach us. We clap once more to again, clean our minds and hearts this time and bow again in reverence. From this point on, until we bow out at the end of class, the Dojo is like a church! This is what Dojo means, a place to follow the michi, or "way" or Tao or teachings of heaven. This is why a Dojo is not a gym. This is why we take our shoes off and why we bow before we enter and when we leave.

Posted on: 2003/2/25 13:10

Frequent Visitor
From finland
Group:
Wow,

this really opened my mind,
my friend told me that the phrase just means
"Hoccus poccus" or something (he's japanese)
and couldnt explain it in a better way.

Posted on: 2003/3/15 5:41

Deleted_
Now that's an interpretation that I have yet to hear. *lol* Just to ask...was he referring to the whole concept of esoteric martial arts as "Hocus Pocus" or the specific phrase "Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo" as tranlasting into "Hocus Pocus"?

Posted on: 2003/3/18 3:11

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor