Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: TAJ JIUTSU PUNCHES.
Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Thanks Kent for the kind words. The thing is, I still kind of have a admittedly biased view of how to do things and how to practice. I will eventually let this slip to the way side, and embrace the other ways of doing things.

Today was like starting over again for me. Sensei pulled out a focus mit and we did the punch and Omote shuto and Jodan uke. Having to hit something with these attacks threw me off. I thought I was doing my home practice correctly but I was mistaken. There was problems with my footwork and syncing my hands.

In fact I was struggling so hard I was frustrated. He got out some tape and put them at the correct angles and that helped me a lot..

That drill helped a lot, and I had a good time. I now know what I need to do to step up my home training and I will do so. Of course I have to purchase some things to do so, but they are cheap. They will have a good effect on my training once up and positioned for practice.

I did learn my sensei can put a lot of power behind his strikes, I was really impressed with it. Holding the pad, he was able to move me back, and I was braced with my feet trying to not get moved....

We discussed the theory behind our strikes and that a lot of my issues with striking will be solved with time and practice.

One thing he noticed was, I retracted after I hit the pad. He told me not to do that, as I should not give back the space that I took from the opponent.. I have to work on that. I do it subconsciously as I did box and that is part of the game.

I have so much to learn its daunting. Todays practice helped a lot and helped to guide me with a lot of my questions regarding striking.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 10:01

New student at the Fort Wayne Zentai Bujjinkan Dojo
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
The reason those schools punch with the rear hand is because they are derived from samurai combat, where everyone had a sword on their hip which they would hold on to with one hand. The strike would create space for them to then draw the sword and finish the fight. This is the reason behind the sanshin no kata as well.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 5:27

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
Nyorker, thank you for the post sir. I never thought of it like that and lol I think that makes sense. Now not to introduce some politics but I am a CCW and that is were I wear my revolver. Could there be some modern practical usage from this as well??

Posted on: 2014/2/4 8:14

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Yes, put your shooting hand on your weapon and use your other hand to push or create space. After you strike or push, back up to get more space to draw your weapon. With a firearm you want to gain distance (yeah, no kidding right?) versus closing distance with an edged weapon.

This is called "posting up" or "framing up" and there are probably 100 examples on YouTube. Firearm techniques are another world of debate, theory and training though, I recommend you practice scooping your shirt/jacket out of the way and drawing your weapon without looking at it if you are concerned with real life self defense. Progress to one-handed drawing and then drawing with a friend or partner trying to bearhug you.

And make sure you can hit what you're aiming at so get some range time in as well.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 9:55

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

NYorker wrote:
The reason those schools punch with the rear hand is because they are derived from samurai combat, where everyone had a sword on their hip which they would hold on to with one hand. The strike would create space for them to then draw the sword and finish the fight. This is the reason behind the sanshin no kata as well.

Quote:

NYorker wrote:
Yes, put your shooting hand on your weapon and use your other hand to push or create space. After you strike or push, back up to get more space to draw your weapon. With a firearm you want to gain distance (yeah, no kidding right?) versus closing distance with an edged weapon.

This is called "posting up" or "framing up" and there are probably 100 examples on YouTube. Firearm techniques are another world of debate, theory and training though, I recommend you practice scooping your shirt/jacket out of the way and drawing your weapon without looking at it if you are concerned with real life self defense. Progress to one-handed drawing and then drawing with a friend or partner trying to bearhug you.

And make sure you can hit what you're aiming at so get some range time in as well.

sources please. and I don't care if it came from grandmaster hatsumi himself, coz that is one of the most blatant disregard of maai I have ever encountered.

"samurai combat" is primarily conducted with the bow, then polearms. can you get that close to someone good with polearms(6ft or more) enough to push with the hand?

re: swords, they are primarily worn at the left side. if you're gonna hit with your right hand, are you willing to present your sword's handle as the closest thing towards your enemy? remember that gyokko ryu and kukishin ryu have joint locks that uses the enemy's own sword against him.

if you punch with the left:

1.how far can you push someone with your non-dominant hand?
2.you don't just create space for yourself, but for your attacker as well.
3.at the end of the technique, you are back in left foot forward stance, which doesn't do wonders for weapon retention.

a katana is not something you draw with the same side hand(the left) just like a handgun, the angle is wrong(it is worn edge up), power generation is wrong(cutting with it requires axial rotation). it requires a cross draw(right hand to left hip) and an oi tsuki(switching punch) before the draw will foul up the draw itself.

so now, please quote your sources.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 14:15

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

Lockfield wrote:
"samurai combat" is primarily conducted with the bow, then polearms. can you get that close to someone good with polearms(6ft or more) enough to push with the hand?

<snip>

if you punch with the left:

1.how far can you push someone with your non-dominant hand?
2.you don't just create space for yourself, but for your attacker as well.
3.at the end of the technique, you are back in left foot forward stance, which doesn't do wonders for weapon retention.

a katana is not something you draw with the same side hand(the left) just like a handgun, the angle is wrong(it is worn edge up), power generation is wrong(cutting with it requires axial rotation). it requires a cross draw(right hand to left hip) and an oi tsuki(switching punch) before the draw will foul up the draw itself.

so now, please quote your sources.

Pushing with the hand reminded me of pointers I've been given about the initial attacks in the Dakentaijutsu syllabus; you use that to make an opening on the opponent, so the aim is not "one strike, one victory". Also like I remember noted on Naginatajutsu - stripping away the opponent's defences piece by piece.

On the strike with left hand; back in January '99 we were training Yume otoshi, and here Hatsumi Soke was clearly pointing out that the strike came from the left hand, and then we continued to practise Battojutsu after the [stepping through] strike.

Just a few notes picked up along the way, hope they help somehow.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 14:52
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

Yamazu wrote:

Pushing with the hand reminded me of pointers I've been given about the initial attacks in the Dakentaijutsu syllabus; you use that to make an opening on the opponent, so the aim is not "one strike, one victory". Also like I remember noted on Naginatajutsu - stripping away the opponent's defences piece by piece.

On the strike with left hand; back in January '99 we were training Yume otoshi, and here Hatsumi Soke was clearly pointing out that the strike came from the left hand, and then we continued to practise Battojutsu after the [stepping through] strike.

Just a few notes picked up along the way, hope they help somehow.

yes, the aim is not "one strike, one victory" but NOT GIVING THE ENEMY A CHANCE TO ASSERT CONTROL OVER YOUR OWN WEAPON. a push using the rear hand WILL posture your body that gives the enemy that very same chance.

re:naginatajutsu stripping the defences piece by piece is a DUELING perspective, NOT a battlefield one. you simply don't have that luxury in a grand melee.

re: yume otoshi, did you ever practice iai tameshi giri left foot forward AND majority of your weight on it? and if both of you have swords and he is in range of yours, then so are you in range of his. that means if you can't cut him down immediately after the push/strike which is the kuzushi, he can recover and the encounter will revert back to a stalemate, with both sides having drawn swords. and when i say cut, i mean cut not slash, something must be severed. and stepping through with the left side just means that you will probably NEED to step through with the right, increasing time and chances for the enemy to recover.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 15:31

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Lockfield,
Sources are Japan, books by Soke, seminars and classes all over the US, but that shouldn't matter since I clearly I missed when trying to describe the movement to you. I don't appreciate your response, perhaps you could ask me politely clarify instead of taking (what I perceived) as an arrogant and rude approach?

Responses to your comments/questions:
1) With your non-dominant hand you can push someone away from you as far as your palm to your opposite shoulder, regardless of their size (push against side of jawbone, trachea, or septum).
2) Yes, when you create space it applies to you and the attacker, in this instance, so you can draw a sword/tanto/lightsaber etc. Weapons are always preferred over unarmed combat.
3) What technique are you referring to?

Posted on: 2014/2/5 7:22

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
Well the position of the hand in sanshin is nearly the same spot I carry my revolver. I also wear a knife there sometimes when im not carrying the gun.

I wonder if soke has any videos on this subject?

Posted on: 2014/2/5 11:41

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Yeah the video and book resources are out there, I just moved again and everything is in temporary storage so I don't have access to my stuff otherwise I'd go digging for it. It's pretty much common knowledge in Bujinkan that the fist on the hip is meant for weapon retention.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 12:10

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor