Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Where to start?
Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi I would like to start learning to read write and speak Japanese. I have looked at the local colleges and so far I have found that Ivy tech Fort wayne has Saturday class's. Beginner 1/2 and Intermediate. Nothing for advanced.

I have also found the Japanesepod101 website.

So my question is is pod101 Good place to start to learn the language? It seams expensive but you get a lot for it.

What about the college class's they don't teach the whole thing, and are expensive. Would I have to repeat the class's several times to gain proficiency?

What is the best bet for me? I think the class's will give me a start. Im thinking that using Pod101 and class's will be the trick.

Any suggestions guys?

Posted on: 2014/1/21 12:06

New student at the Fort Wayne Zentai Bujjinkan Dojo
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Where to start?
Honorary Villager
From Koshigaya, Japan
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
James Heisig has three books for learning all of the kanji Japanese school kids need to know when they finish grade 12 in japan (end of high school in case you call in something different in the states).

the books are called "Remembering the Kanji" vol 1,2 and 3.
He also has a book on learning hirigana and katikana but I dont recall the name, you could find it easily on Amazon.

From these book you will learn to write the kanji, and memorize their meanings and read them. You should be able to memorize the 2100 kanji in the book using his method in 3-6 months, some dedicated students can do it in a month of hardcore practice.

Also check out "read japanese today" by len walsh, it has a good basic guide that will give you greater insight to why kanji are the way they are.

To speak any language quickly, I speak czech and polish from hanging around friends, the best method is total immersion.

Living in america or australia in my case, this can be hard, for my last trip to japan this is what I did.

I got a hold of Michel Thomas Japanese set. its an audio program that you only listen to. you do not study the tapes, or make notes. its sounds weird but if you listen through the tapes twice through, you cant forget it, and will be able to get around Japan fine.

second thing I did was only watch the Japanese news, and only watching Japanese movies for the month before I went.

Any opportunity I had to speak japanese I would try it.
I used to by water at the local sushi takeway shop ( I dont eat sushi) but would by a water their everyday so I had the chance to practice Japanese with the owner who worked there. Also In the dojo, I only used Japanese to train.

You could start learning it, by putting post it notes all over the house on different objects wit the Japanese romanisation on them. tv controls, dinner tables, cutlery names etc etc etc You could play games with your kids on remembering this stuff and get them involved too. you wont need the post its for long.

Perhaps get a japanese exchange student, or go to local college/uni and see if any japanese students are there and want to make some money tutoring you.

Maximum exposure is the way to go.

Check out all japanese all the time. some good articles on there.

Good luck!!

Posted on: 2014/1/21 22:15
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are nothing but targets, nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them, they make the battle... AH but ONE, one of them is a Warrior... he will bring the others back - Hericletus c. 5...

Active Kutakian
From Boston, MA
Group:
Jpod101 is fun and has a lot of great information. Even a free account can be very educational, but as with all things learning, you have to really use it and work with the material yourself to get anything out of it.

Posted on: 2014/1/22 1:35

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
Oddly there is not many Japanese people around here. I think I am going to take the 3 college class's and go from there. Graham, thanks for the book suggestions, ill order them asap. Im going to find the Katakana and Hiragana books as well.

I think that Pod101, just based on what I have seen, will work well in conjunction with instruction.

I do have a cousin that married a girl from Okinawa. Does that count? Do Okinawans speak and read and write Japanese?

Posted on: 2014/1/22 10:39

New student at the Fort Wayne Zentai Bujjinkan Dojo

Active Kutakian
From Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada
Group:
Two more suggestions re books for learning kanji:

Kanji Look and Learn
http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/kanji-look-and-learn_en

and

Essential Kanji
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Kanji ... y-Reference/dp/0834802228

Posted on: 2014/1/23 21:25

www.bujinkanmanitoba.ca
Find us on Facebook!

Occasional Visitor
From Honolulu
Group:
Thanks graham for the tip about the Michel Thomas method. This method may prove best for my style of learning. On my last trip to Japan I was able to spend more time with Japanese people in social settings which really is the best method, but until I get a chance to go back the cds may come in handy. Living in Hawaii has it's perks too as there are a great number of Japanese people here.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 11:56

Honorary Villager
From Koshigaya, Japan
Group:
Good luck with the method!!

Please let everyone know how you go after spending a couple of months using michel thomas.

Hawaii.... so jealous right now, its bloody cold here in Australia....

Posted on: 2014/6/13 22:15
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are nothing but targets, nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them, they make the battle... AH but ONE, one of them is a Warrior... he will bring the others back - Hericletus c. 5...

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor