Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Conditioning advice.
Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hey guys.

I am looking to get started in a new conditioning program. I want to finish off the last 50% of my weight loss goals. 100lbs gone, 100lbs to go.

I have a membership at the YMCA here and they have a number of class's but the ones that I can make religiously are the Power yoga class's 4 days a week.

I also have a bike at home I can ride in the evenings.

My other option is spending a good chunk of the tax return to get personal training with Jason Rubin at http://absoluteresultsfitness.com/wev ... rd-now-its-your-turn.html.

Ya its kind of expensive but he is the guy that trained the local coach on Biggest loser a few years ago.

The ymca power yoga class is the cheapest option as It is already paid for. I sat in on a Power yoga class and it was not the slow style I was expecting.

They had a list of poses they went through, and they moved between them pretty quickly. The guys in the class were sweating and some of the poses looked a lot like exercises I did in mma conditioning. Such as planks and lunges.

Of course I have a recumbent bike at home so I have my cardio covered.

While I know that training with Mr Ruben would likely be worth the money, I would really prefer not spending it. However it that is the best option to not only loose weight but transform my body composition to a much more aesthetically pleasing level then ill consider it.

So does anyone here have any experience with power yoga? What benefits will I see? I know that with regards to leg/hip flexibility ill get it in only the Front/back direction and not in the side to side position. So id have to work on the side splits my self.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 8:51

New student at the Fort Wayne Zentai Bujjinkan Dojo
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Conditioning advice.
Honorary Villager
From Koshigaya, Japan
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
You cannot out train a bad diet.
the only thing that will make you lose weight effectively is a good diet. that doesn't mean you have to eat rabbit food only.

I would not have anything to do personally with anyone associated wit TBL. what they do on that show is demented and dangerous.

Look into free workouts and lifestyles on the net, such as MOVNAT etc... lots of big guys have lost heaps of weight following a good diet and training regime like movnat.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 9:10
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are nothing but targets, nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them, they make the battle... AH but ONE, one of them is a Warrior... he will bring the others back - Hericletus c. 5...

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
Graham I don't know if you caught the part were I said I lost 100lbs. That dosent happen magically. I have a good diet, I have been following it for over a year now. I am wanting to replace the mma conditioning I got from my mma class with something.

I like the yoga class and have my own cardio equipment. ITs functional strength and muscular endurance and flexibility intrigue me.

Or I could spend a $1000 and get a bunch of privates from Absolute.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 10:06

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
Grr that came out sounding angry. Not my intention Graham im sorry. I do infact have a good diet. I have been doing Paleo since the beginning of my weight loss journey.

When I visited I didn't see anyone doing anything dangerous at Absolute. You got to remember he was paid a hell of a lot to get that coach in shape so of course they worked him to death lol.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 10:31

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Crossfit.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 11:15

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
I truly have considered it Nyorker. Man o man they want a lot of cash though. That and my Sensei is not a fan. He says in his experience with crossfitters is that they can do lots of hard work quickly but lack endurance to do anything that takes a while. Such as running sprinting vs endurance running.

That and people are getting injured, like the guy who broke his spine recently.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 11:53

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Don't get me started.

Crossfit has morphed from an elite fitness philosophy into a social-cult of people wearing funny bright calf-height socks, kinda looks like Zumba these days. But whatever, like all great things, it gets diluted as it gets popular over time....nah I won't go there, but I could have sneaked a real cheapshot in just now.

I've been at it since 2008 and I've never been faster, stronger more agile or had greater stamina than before, and I was training hard with weightlifting and endurance running. There are alot of crap gyms out there with the Crossfit logo and yeah they do charge a shit ton so if that's the case in your area then I'd look elsewhere, I always had the privilege of good knowledgeable coaches coming from military or professional fitness backgrounds though so it always worked for me.

Sounds like your Sensei had a bad experience with Crossfitters (so have I), which is common unfortunately. But Crossfit does not cause injuries, people do. Just like every sport, profession or hobby, people get hurt and usually due to poor coaching or ego problems (attempting to do too much work without properly conditioning/training/dieting and preparing the body first).

If you want to just cut weight, the diet is where its at. If you want to condition your body, I'd embrace the total fitness concept which Crossfit was originally based on before it became a commercial money-making focused abomination, these 10 domains are:
1. cardiovascular/respiratory endurance
2. stamina
3. strength
4. flexibility
5. power
6. speed
7. agility
8. balance
9. coordination
10. accuracy

Train them all in whatever sense you can given your circumstances, equipment, environment, schedule etc. But train them all. Whatever you decide to do I can promise you a couple things:
1) Results require effort, there are no "easy ways" or "short cuts".
2) You can't buy motivation.
3) Ego is your worst enemy.

I recommend you read "The Iron", a one page article by Henry Rollins about his outlook on strength training, that should get your blood pumping.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/2/11 13:07

Honorary Villager
From Koshigaya, Japan
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
If you want strength and Endurance and Flexibility, go buy Flxibility express by thomas kurz from stadion.com

It will cover all of those needs better then a PT or Yoga Class.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 16:45
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are nothing but targets, nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them, they make the battle... AH but ONE, one of them is a Warrior... he will bring the others back - Hericletus c. 5...

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
NY Ill check out the 2 I have local. One of them I seamed ok when I visited it. I asked them specifically about safety and they said it was paramount. Im leary of the range of membership options which range in price from $80-$155 a month.

Graham, thanks for the name drop. Ill check it out. Thank you sir.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 20:40

Active Kutakian
From Boston, MA
Group:
Kamae training. It's free! Deep and low and watch your alignment as best you know how. Don't worry if you think it's not perfect. This conditioning is as much about 'nin' as it is strength or anything else.

Stretch first, and then start with just a small amount of time and do each of the kamae you know, both sides where applicable. It hurts, it burns and it's NOT glamorous in any way shape or form.

It's also REALLY good for your movement and training!

Posted on: 2014/2/12 5:45

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor