Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Ryu-ha or not so much?
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
So,

As a teacher of students new to the Bujinkan, when do you introduce them to the various school? When do you have them take a school through the school with the Kata in order? At what time should they be able to tell you the names of all 9 Ryu?

Marty

Posted on: 2014/5/29 7:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:
So,

As a teacher of students new to the Bujinkan, when do you introduce them to the various school? When do you have them take a school through the school with the Kata in order? At what time should they be able to tell you the names of all 9 Ryu?

Marty

Well, looking from the way I see things... in the class one, as everything comes from the schools. Kihon Happo and Gogyo no kata come from Gyokko-ryu, right?

The way my training is normally organized is that I am going through the schools forms in order. But I don't demand the students to remember the names, or the forms, of the top of their heads, simply propose they make good notes passing on to them what has been passed on to me.

I feel that knowing the names is not so needed until you start to teach the traditions... but if you start studying those then you might be in a rush to get it. Bit by bit may be more smart way to do it. But, then, not everyone wants to be a teacher, or even needs to become one. Teaching is not for everyone, and training is more important anyway.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 16:40
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Part of me wishes there was a more standardized training curriculum across the board for all dojos to follow at least loosely but each dojo has the discretion to transmit Soke's teachings as they see fit, and in accordance with their understanding of them and ability to translate the material of the ryu to the best of their ability.

Unfortunately due to the inherent nature of the art, being that it evolves constantly with time and is not restricted to any fixed "system" or "way" of conducting class/training, every dojo and Shidoshi will vary somewhat in the way they teach a particular ryu.

I would like to see a standardized collection of the 9 ryu-ha, fundamental kata and waza which each Shidoshi is responsible for making sure at least their Dan level students have a thorough understanding of so that when traveling or training in different places with different people, everyone would at least have a solid common background of training and education that would ensure everyone can train together and learn more efficiently. Of course, these existed centuries ago and were transmitted in secret scroll form to prevent the mass production and replication of the art, thereby turning it into a strip mall commercial franchise.

Then again I hope such a "manual" is not published at the same time so as to protect the art from being exploited by anyone who wants to order it off Amazon. There are already enough bookshelves and DVD racks full of mass produced garbage that people have consumed in recent decades which make BJK look ridiculous.

I was taught concepts, kata, waza, techniques and tactics of each ryu, but not so much in an organized and progressive manner, mainly because I move a lot and do not take after any specific teacher's "way". And certainly not to a degree where I feel capable of articulating the precise differences of each ryu for every movement or technique.

Not being a teacher, this is just my .02¢

Posted on: 2014/6/2 11:57

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor