Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: The many spam posts
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
I deleted some more spam posts (and a few more accounts) today, and also went through some of the more advanced forum settings and flipped some switches that will hopefully greatly reduce the problem.

Cheers
Shawn

Posted on: 2014/7/31 19:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
Looks like it's holding up so far!

Posted on: 2014/8/4 8:32

Honorary Villager
Group:
Mods/Admins I recommend that you install some plugins in order to get rid of the spam bots. There are a variety of security plugins that help with this issue for vBulletin/Xenforo etc.

Also, if the forum software is out of date, you might have a vulnerability in the forum software. Make sure you have the latest version of the forum software installed.

Lastly, if you are using CAPTCHA, switch to question & answer. Its super easy for bots to penetrate CAPTCHA these days, and Question/Answer security is much more effective.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 2:39

Honorary Villager
Group:
Oh yeah, another thing that will help (assuming the above listed solutions don't work)...

You can go into the settings and require manual approval for all registrations. I don't think there are enough registrations here for that to make too much of an impact on registration rates, and as long as you have a few active admins manual approvals on all registrations can stop spam bots in their tracks easily.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 2:41

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
All very good points, Kent.

We are running the latest version of the forum software with CAPTCHA in place, but the CAPTCHA installation is aging a bit so I think your point about switching to question and answer is a good one - will have a look at a new installation. (Will try that as a first measure and see how we go before resorting back to admin-approved account registration.)

Cheers

Shawn

Posted on: 2014/8/19 8:50

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor