BladesPro 14 2017/12/9 17:45
fskopfpatro

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Wakizashi Question
Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I'm looking to get some more clarification on the pronunciation of Wakizashi. I was teaching class tonight and there was a new student in the class who lived with his family for 15 years in Japan. After class he was asking questions and I said Wakizashi and he said, "no, it's washizaki." I was confused because I have never heard it said that way. I didn't want to make a big deal about it so I moved on, and said, "anyway, a shoto" and he said a shoto was not the same thing as a washizaki (his pronunciation) and that it was only for sepuku. At this point I said he was wrong and regardless to the point anyway of what I was trying to teach him. For those of you who have spent more time in Japan than I have and speak it better, have you every heard it pronounced "washizaki?" I've checked my sword books on nihonto and they all list the name as wakizashi and state a shoto is any short sword, be it kodachi or wakizashi.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 14:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Wakizashi Question
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
It sounds like you found your answer. I would only care how it is pronounced if my teacher specifically stated what it was called. Imagine how confusing it is to Japanese when they come to the US in different regions and attempt to order a carbonated cola!

Marty

Posted on: 2015/6/9 10:10

Re: Wakizashi Question
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
I regularly do Japanese-English translation of Koryu Kenjutsu, sword smithing, etc. as well as website work for a Japanese antique sword trader, and can vouch that it's definitely Wakizashi (脇指).

Shawn

Posted on: 2015/6/13 21:27

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor