Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Hanwei ?
Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Anyone who has handled the Hanwei Practical Katana Plus? They seem to be pretty nice considering the prize and I have been thinking about buing one for a while..

Posted on: 2003/11/18 21:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Hanwei ?
Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
Ehm, ok.. doesn't seem like it... Anybody want me to post a link to information and pictures about the sword series?

Posted on: 2003/11/20 1:32

Re:
Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
hm.. ok.. Ill just post it anyway then... =)

http://www.theswordsmith.com/samurai/prplus_katana.htm

Posted on: 2003/11/21 23:31

Honorary Villager
From Germany
Group:
Hi Kristoffer,

I only have the Practical katana in use. It´s a very nice sword. With a real forged blade (carbon steel), you can use this sword to make tamashegiri (cutting exercises), if you like. The tsuka is longer than most tsukas are, that´s a real plus. The only bad thing about it was that the blade has only one Mei, that means the the blade is held by one bolt in the tsuka. This could be very dangerous, if you´re doing tamashegiri, because when doing something wrong the blade could break out of the tsuka. I don´t know, if they changed this problem on the Practical Plus. What you also have to take care about is, that the blade can rust, so you have to get knowledge and materials on how to clean the blade correctly.
But all in one it´s a nice sword. The tsuka of the Practical Plus is covered with leather, it has a nice tsuba and the blade is very good. Even with this small problem, you get a REAL forged blade, and when you have some knowledge with swords you can get rid of that problem very easily. The blade isn´t sharp, when you buy it, but that´s a simple thing to work on.
I don´t know any better one for that price.

I´ll go to a weapon-store nearby and checkout the one-bolt problem for you.
See ya.

Posted on: 2003/11/22 19:52

Re: Hanwei
Honorary Villager
From Germany
Group:
It´s also very good to handle (sorry, I forgot /it´s the most important point).
A little bit heavier than most iaitos and katanas I used before, but for me this gives a real feeling of a REAL sword. It also makes no sound, when cutting. So you can use it in a more shadow/silent/stealth way (like Hatsumi mentioned in his book "Understand, Good, Play").

I´ll test out the Practical Plus for you the days. Then I can tell you more.

See ya.

Posted on: 2003/11/22 21:09

Re:
Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
"The long tang is double-pegged for security. The fittings of the Practical Plus are decorated in a Japanese Dogwood motif with dragon menuki, and the handsome tsuba is of an iron "sunburst" design with a brass habaki. "

They have fixed the pegs on the Plus series... They are also sold sharp on most places I've seen...

Posted on: 2003/11/22 22:03

practical plus
Just Passing Through
Group:
The plus is not a bad katana for the price.
I liked the following:
Tusba (blackened iron - nice design)
Tsuka is removable (like the real thing)
Same is real ray skin
Cuts well
I did not like:
The ito (feels very wierd) I like silk better
Shape of the Tsuka (is not shaped for comfort)
Too short (27" blade)
Saya is nothing special
It had a dead feel to it (can't explain it)

Overall it is a good value for the price. Use it as a cutter. Don't make it your prize sword.

PS. the reason it doesn't make noise when you swing it is because the absence of a bo-hi. Most real katanas don't have bo-hi just iaitos.

Hope this helps,
Dell

Posted on: 2003/11/27 9:21

Frequent Visitor
From Austin, TX
Group:
Hey Xtracted,

I would honestly forget hanwei and get a Last Legend. "The dead feeling" that Dell was talking about was the balance. LL are very well balanced. They are really well made blades.

One of my buddies www.J-armory.com sells both hanwei an LL. I have felt and used many styles of Hanwei, and they did not impress me. However I was very impressed with LL.

Last Legend has a lifetime warrenty on the 300 and 400. Who else do you know who offers that?

The MK I is about the same price as the PPK, but its a much better buy IMHO.

Hope this helps.
Jahun

Posted on: 2003/11/29 4:37

Dead feeling
Just Passing Through
Group:
shinobuka,
That's it exactly. Balance was off. I have an iaito which "feels" lively and there is a marked difference in the feeling between the two.

By the way they weight about the same (850g~ about).

Posted on: 2003/11/29 11:39

Re: Dead feeling
Honorary Villager
From Germany
Group:
The balance is not the best, but it´s OK (it´s going down more than necessary in the front part (boshi)). I´ve seen worse swords for even more money.

The blades of Practical and Practical Plus are really thicker and this is giving a little bit the feeling of "oversteering" the cut. But if you have some knowledge in removing and mounting sword parts, you can remove the tsuka and mount a longer one, so you can balance it out better.

In the beginning I had problems with the balance. Everytime I made my cutting exercises my wrists were always a little bit overstretched, so I took out the blade and took a longer tsuka. Now it´s balanced very well and because it has a real thick blade it´s nice for tameshigiri. This are my experiences on the Practical Katana. I´ve tested the Plus and it has the same problem, but this time it has two Mei, so the mounting of a new tskua is better to make. I only hope that the Nakago is a little bit longe that the one of the normal Practical Katana (I couldn´t check that without buying).

All in one it´s worth the price. But opinions differ on each person. That´s natural.
So it´s important to test the sword on your own before you buy it. You should never buy a sword on the I-net, if never tested (weapon-store, friends, teacher etc.). I did and since then I never did it again.

Posted on: 2003/11/29 20:34

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor