schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

re
Deleted_
Quote:

bufuikan wrote:
A point about the guard.
The guard will only work as long as you are facing the opponent. If you manage to turn your body sideways you will find it fairly easy to move between the legs.

If that is your approach then maybe you should fear the Gracies?

If the attacker has taken you in the guard then it is a safe bet that he is a grappler. Turning your body sideways is probably the worst thing you could do.

Quote:

bufuikan wrote:
Miuki pointed an important fact about speed. If somone is fast an accurate you need to be at least as fast and accurate in order to defeat them.

P.S. I know that some of you will disagree saying that timing is more important and thats fine as long as you can react in time for the attack.

I do disagree. I have seen Hatsumi-sensei do a trick where he tells the attacker to come in "as fast as you can .. and I'll move as slow as I can".

Being "fast" won't help you. Timing, balance taking, distancing, etc ........ skill.

Just can't get away from it.

Posted on: 2003/2/22 2:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: re
Deleted_
Quote:
If the attacker has taken you in the guard then it is a safe bet that he is a grappler. Turning your body sideways is probably the worst thing you could do.

I totally agree...

Turning sideways is asking to be choked unconcious like a rag doll or locked and submitted. Not to mention if you ever grapple with weapons you will realize quickly that if the guy on the ground has a knife you better be facing straight on or what very little chance you have of surviving is gone. (Also when grappling with weapons you will realize that if you are the guy without the knife that the guard is the worst place to be as well but that isn;t the topic right now...)

Posted on: 2003/2/22 2:44

Re: You do not need to fear the Gracies anymore !!!
Frequent Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

if I'm stuck in a bad situation I just need to call soke and he will appear to save me !! :)

Everyone should have that ability!

At what point in training do you develop it?

Posted on: 2003/2/22 3:33
http://www.ntcofcanada.com/

Speed
Deleted_
Is it called 'mushin' when everything seems to slow down, though to an observer the opposite is true?

Posted on: 2003/2/22 4:47

re:
Villager
Group:
I agree with Jeff and Duncan on this one.

Turning sideways can very easily lead to being caught in a rear mount (with the hooks in) and slipping into the darkness.

Continuing on another point that Duncan mentioned:

I think it important to know and understand the various ground-based locks, throws, re-rolls, escapes and counters but perhaps more important is how to get back up from the ground.
By fighting their fight, you will most likely lose. Why fight in an element that you are not prepared for.

Matt

Posted on: 2003/2/22 4:48

"The Guard"
Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
Excuse my ignorance - but what is "the guard"? A kamae of sorts used by grapplers?

Johan Grönwall

Posted on: 2003/2/22 10:36

Re: "The Guard"
Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Very well I always welcome others opinion but, this is the reason why I am not in favour discussing movement online.

my fault,

Hi Duncan: Even though you are so big and strong next time when I meet you in Japan I'll be more then happy to show you what I meant by turning sideways.

BTW how many people in this world do you know that are like Soke or close to him?

Maybe a handful

If that is the case then my point about speed power and accuracy still stands.

Posted on: 2003/2/22 11:26
七転び八起き

next time when I meet you
Deleted_
Hi bufuikan

Why wait till you are in Japan? If you are ever in Oz you could always come and visit our dojo (unfortunately not in Zenigata's Australian dojo list - I can always PM the details) where Zenigata sometimes lands and beats up the greenbelt(s). I'm waiting nervously for my turn.

"The most extensive knowledge does not necessarily know it; reasoning will not make men wise in it. The sages have decided against both these methods."
Chuang Tzu in Physics and Philosophy, Heisenberg, 1963.

"A dog is not reckoned good because he barks well, and a man is not reckoned wise because he speaks skillfully".
Chuang Tzu, trans. James Legge, arranged by Clae Waltham, 1971.

Posted on: 2003/2/22 17:23

Re: next time when I meet you
Deleted_
Johan:
The guard is a position used by grapplers in which you lie on your back with your legs around your opponent. It is a very strong position in a wrestling or NHB match but is not very useful in real situations (when groin strikes are allowed and/or weapons and multiple opponents are involved.)

Eddie:
How about we put a few bucks on it too? Best of ten "sideward" guard escapes vs guard to submission.

I'd have a roll with you if you want (should be in Japan around August) but really it just comes down to a wrestling match then doesn't it - with the best wrestler winning. As Matt Hildreth pointed out "By fighting their fight, you will most likely lose. Why fight in an element that you are not prepared for. "

I don't really like going for a guard pass on a grappler as they train for this sort of thing every day. I think the best options are just sitting back and going for the jewels - once there is a clean break then get up. If they want to lie on their back and be defensive - fine - I'll walk away. It isn't sport so I don't need to go for a win.

It's like soke says "If you fight a boxer - don't think about boxing. If you fight a judoka - don't think about judo. You don't want to think "How do I fight a boxer?", you want the boxer to think "How do I fight a Budoka?"

Miuki:
See you at Ed Martin's seminar next weekend !!

Posted on: 2003/2/23 15:48

Grappling
Deleted_
When I was a youngster (16yrs old and all hormone), I once challenged a superior grappler. Result: dislocated shoulder (mine), dislocated A/C joint (mine) and fractured rotor cuff (mine)... and that was after only 2 seconds(though it felt like a lifetime).

Quote:

Zenigata wrote:

Miuki:
See you at Ed Martin's seminar next weekend !!

Uh oh... ah... I don't think I can make it after all... I think I just did my hamstring... and my heartlege has been playing up a bit as well...

"Why is it that the bullies and the fools are bold enough to speak out and be heard, whilst the gentle and the wise often lack the confidence?", paraphrased from Teddy Roosevelt (I think...?).

Posted on: 2003/2/23 17:55

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor