Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Hunting In Japan
Permanent Village Fixture
From Cleveland, Ohio USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi,

I believe humans to be hunters and gatherers by nature. I know from studying western civilizations this is true. But I always wondered historically if the Japanese people were the same or more of fishermen/farmers. Is there a deep history of hunting in Japan? Does it still continue?

What sorts of animals were hunted I would imagine boars, deer etc maybe birds. I know in modern times crow hunting for different reasons is popular :)

Thanks!

Posted on: 2004/3/3 6:42

Re: Hunting In Japan
Deleted_
Hello!

Here is a quote that you might find interesting:

"Archaeological evidence shows that the earliest known inhabitants of the Japanese islands, a hunter-gatherer culture called the Jomon (7,000 B.C. to 250 B.C.), relied heavily on the use of the bow. While it is probable that they used the bow for tribal warfare, and possibly ritual as well, it was primarily used for hunting."(from "Kyudo: the Essense and Practice of Japanese Archery" by Hideharu Onuma)

P.S.- Regarding hunting today, I have heard that some regions of Japan are known for Tanuki Nabe of one sort or another. So, somebody is still hunting, or more likely trapping, tanuki for food. Tanuki, by the way, is a terrestrial mammal. The name is usually translated into english as 'raccoon-dog', but it is neither a raccoon, nor a dog. Sometimes tanuki is translated as 'badger', but that is incorrect (there are badger in Japan though).

Posted on: 2004/3/3 19:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Cleveland, Ohio USA
Group:
Thank you. :)

Posted on: 2004/3/3 22:20

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
I believe that falconry was also practiced in Japan as a method of hunting fowl, but I have nothing in front of me at the moment to back it up...

FWIW,

Shawn

Posted on: 2004/3/3 23:58

Honorary Villager
From Colorado, USA
Group:
"Shogun" featured falconers, I think... Google dug up lots of good things about it. Raptors fascinate me (bald eagles near my house) - the process of bonding with one and learning to get it to hunt for you must be intense.

Quote:

Falconry was also introduced to Japan in the age of Emperor Nintoku (355 A.D.) and was the popular game of the nobles.
Falconry thrived during Edo period.
Especially the third shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu and the 8th Tokugawa Yoshimune are big ffans of falconry: the owned huge falconry lands in Edo city and its suburb. Special offices for falconers were placed to make the law about falconry.
However, falconry lost popularity with the introduction of guns in l492.
Vast environmental changes such as modern industrialization also cause the popularity of falconry to pllummet; it is restricted to a small number of followers nowadays.

From Japan Falconers

This is a cool site too - check out the drawings of equipment!
Majestic Wings

Posted on: 2004/3/4 2:19

Kutaki Postmaster
From Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Group:
Quote:

BMDIronFist wrote:
What sorts of animals were hunted I would imagine boars, deer etc maybe birds. I know in modern times crow hunting for different reasons is popular

My uncle-in-law in Kyushu hunts regularly. The last time I was back, we feasted on boar. He also takes small game. I've also had boar in Izu Peninsula.

Here's an interesting tidbit that has historical implications:

As you may know, Japanese use various forms of counting for animals:

ippiki (一匹), nihiki, ... -- for smaller animals like dogs
ittou (一頭), nitou, ... -- for large animals like horses
ichiwa (一羽), niwa, ... -- for birds
hitori (一人), futari, ... -- for humans

So the question goes out to the masses: How do Japanese count "rabbits"? And why do they count them that way?

-ben

Posted on: 2004/3/4 7:34

Deleted_
Quote:
So the question goes out to the masses: How do Japanese count "rabbits"? And why do they count them that way?

ippun (one rabbit), nibun (two rabbits)

After that it's always 'takusan bunbun' due to the fact that they multiply more rapidly than humans could count in those days without modern advancements in clustered computing technology.

There are exceptions, of course, if all the rabbits are of the same gender, but everyone knows this sort of thing because it's really elementary and can we at least have a remotely challenging question next time thankyou very much?

; )

Just pray you need never face the unbridaled wrath of the rokushakubun in all it's fearsome, buck-toothed glory. (shudder)

Posted on: 2004/3/5 4:28

Kutaki Postmaster
From Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Group:
Quote:

HealthySword wrote:
ippun (one rabbit), nibun (two rabbits)

After that it's always 'takusan bunbun' due to the fact that they multiply more rapidly than humans could count in those days without modern advancements in clustered computing technology.

LOL! Nice try though....

Any other takers?

-ben

Posted on: 2004/3/5 4:32

Deleted_
Quote:

bencole wrote:
[quote]

I don't know but I did look it up ...
http://www.trussel.com/jcount.htm

I love counters.....

Posted on: 2004/3/5 7:05

From Cleveland, Ohio USA
Group:
Arghh...

I went to the link..