fskopfpatro
BladesPro 14 2017/12/9 17:45
fskopfpatro

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Its what hombu admins should do....
Deleted_
Thanks, Kent.

As some of you (who stay at the Dojo till we lock the door) may know, we share the trash/garbage to take home or throw away somewhere else after EVERY class at Hombu.

And of course, we have been wishing people would be more careful about it and we would have less trash/garbage left there.
But the situation hasn't become better at all, or it may be getting worse recently. And a Taikai is coming soon!!

Two guys at Noguchi dojo visited Hombu yesterday and found 'it' there. It made them mad enough to call me at once to tell me to do something.

That's why I started this thread. This is sad, but this is a fact, too. So we have to do something.

Thanks for your understanding.

Posted on: 2004/3/16 0:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Its what hombu admins should (not have to) do....
Active Kutakian
From Cambridge, England
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

HealthySword wrote:

On the other hand, with the larger amounts of people training at hombu, it's very easy to assume that your (or my) one small act of littering or carelessness won't amount to much. This is clearly a trap which we all must strive to avoid and take responsibility for.

One of the things that struck me about Japan was how just that extra bit of care about ones life and work from all involved could make such a huge difference. It's one of those small details that needs looking after because it has larger implications than one first thinks.

It was quite a shock returning to a somewhat sullen and grumpy England

Posted on: 2004/3/16 1:42

Re: To those who train at Hombu
Villager
Group:
That is indeed a serious matter and should not happen again.
However, I think many abroad Bujinkan people visit the Honbu dojo, staying at the Ryokan or hotel on the other side of the road and don't even bother going to other parts of Japan to observe what the country is all about.

I'm almost certain that this littering was done by such people who forget that they are in Japan and such throw trash around. The only thing they probably care about is how to go the fastest from the Airport to the Dojo.

Although being non-Japanese myself, I have to admit that, when going to the popular foreigner places in Tokyo (Asakusa, Roppongi etc) they seem to be dirty & run-down.
Not to mention that the people (shop owners etc) seem to be fed up with foreigners. As per my own experience, they act very different when I enter a shop with my (japanese) wife and when I am on my own.

So, my message to all abroad Bujinkan people:
Please inform yourself about the do's and dont's while being in Japan. There are a lot of guide books which can give you useful hints or even ask somebody (a friend or somebody in your company) who has more experience about this.
Do not only concentrate about "How Do I go to the honbu dojo" or only think about "what souke is all about".
Hopefully, Noda will not become one of those "run-down" gaijin places that someday receives the reputation of a "weirdo-american-ninjas" place.....

Posted on: 2004/3/16 17:49

Active Kutakian
From El Segundo, CA, USA, Earth.
Group:
Quote:

BTW, it was also March 15th when I joined the Bujinkan 12 years ago.

Congratulations. :)

12 good years. :D

Lets have 12 more!

Posted on: 2004/3/17 3:05

Deleted_
I think the most important thing we can each do to remedy the situation is to simply remember that when we train in Noda, we train as Hatsumi soke's guests, regardless of whether we are personal friends of his, newbie white-belts or megadans or whathaveyou. Everyone who gets through that door gets through on the kindness, good-graces and generosity of the master himself.

What a tremendous, once-in-a-lifetime honor this is!

With that in mind, it should be easy to police ourselves and each other, not with accusations, but rather by actions and example.
We might ask ourselves...

Is Hatsumi soke's kindness not worth the effort of picking up someone elses trash, in or out of the dojo?

Is his teaching and guidance somehow not quite worth the effort it takes to act with kindness, grace and generosity to EVERYONE you encounter in his hometown of Noda, regardless of whether or not they may appear to appreciate or return that kindness?

Is his generosity not worth the resilience of spirit it takes to sometimes (often? always?) pay for the mistakes of others with our own time and efforts?

Are we too busy? Too eager, perhaps, to show the often quiet and reserved Japanese just how amazingly loud, proud and obnoxious we can be? Do we think they haven't seen it before? We should perhaps tread more carefully, and try to discover and enjoy (rather than ignore or exploit) the virtues of a society that is guarded and contained by courtesy instead of padlocks and chain-link fences.

Would it not, after all, be better to show them how well we can observe our surroundings, pick up on the vibe and blend in? How the place, be it the dojo or Atago station, seems cleaner and more at peace when we have passed, rather than defiled or irate?

Would it not be worthwhile to make Hatsumi soke look good, great even, in every possible way, in his own home town? Is that too much work? A wasted effort? Is it not worthwhile to make him proud and amazed instead of discouraged and perhaps even ashamed? Do we need a sign, in fifteen different languages, to tell us this?

I realize that I take great license in speaking so brazenly here and in so preachingly a manner, but no one else is saying it, and another opportunity to raise and address these matters may not come again for a long time. And perhaps this is a message that should arise within the ranks, rather than from the judan, or Hatsumi, or Joji or any of the other shihan. It is we, after all, who are the future of the Bujinkan, like it or not. We must police and parent ourselves, so that our instructors can focus on teaching, without having to worry about housekeeping and disciplinary nonsense!

And no, for those about to ask, I haven't lived in Japan for 50 odd years or what-have-you, and I haven't written or even read 10 different books about their history and cultural intricacies, but I've seen and learned enough to have formed an opinion and feel very strongly on this issue.

I have also more than likely done my part at one time or another to add to the problem at hand. I'll share the blame with anyone and everyone who cares to do likewise, and vow, for what it's worth, to pick up more than my share of the load the next time I am in town.

I think this needs to be discussed. I think this issue hits at the very core of our training.

I think we should struggle constantly to polish our behaviour and understanding, and to live lives worthy of the training Hatsumi soke offers us to protect them.

I hope I haven't gone too far with this...if I have, please flame accordingly! ; )

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!

(ADDENDUM - I just toned down a(nother) part of this post that I believe was worded rudely or too strongly, and have dismounted my high horse. I am striking it soundly on the flank and sending it running into the woods without any supper. Whew. Thanks!)

Posted on: 2004/3/17 5:16

Deleted_
We found a lot of plastic bottles after the Hombu class again....
I think we should be strict the day after tomorrow.

Posted on: 2004/3/20 0:56

Occasional Visitor
From France
Group:
Here is a translation in French of George's original text. People that act are like that very disrespectful.

----------------------
√Ä ceux qui s’entra√Ænent au Hombu Dojo .

Nous trouvons beaucoup d'ordures et de poubelles à l'intérieur & autour du Dojo (du côté de la voie de ferroviaire principalement) à chaque fois que nous nous entraînons là. Cela est vraiment ennuyeux.
Surtout, que ces ordures / poubelles sont répartis autour du Dojo et peuvent donc causer des problèmes entre le Bujinkan et le voisinage de la ville de Noda.

Donc, s'il vous plaît prenez vos propres déchets avec vous et jetez dans les poubelles de votre maison et ne laissez rien là sans autorisation.

Si nous voyons quelqu'un d'entre vous jetez des déchets ou ordures autour du Dojo, vous serez bannis du Dojo.
--------------------------

I hope that it will help.
Regards,

Alain

Posted on: 2004/3/26 17:57

Deleted_
Thanks.

I printed the English and the Spanish versions on a sheet of paper and put it on the door of the restroom of the Hombu dojo.
I hope most French people understand that easy English. (Spanish people don't.....)

Posted on: 2004/3/27 0:26

Deleted_
In Dutch it would be,

Gaarne uw vuilnis en rotzooi in de vuilnisbak plaatsen en niet in of rond de Honbu Dojo. U kunt vuilnisbakken vinden bij winkels of in de stationshal. Uw mederwerking word op prijsgesteld, ook namens de buren.

Hope it helps,

Michiel Muller

Posted on: 2004/3/31 22:03

Deleted_
Thanks.

Posted on: 2004/3/31 22:06

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor