Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Its what hombu admins should do....
Deleted_
Seems we share a common date of joining the bujinkan George The 15th march is also the date I started training 5 years ago :). As for the trash issue when I was at the hombu I was never short of room in my bag to take away my rubbish as it was all in my bag when I got there. There is a wise old saying take only pictures leave only foot prints.We here in australia are lucky as our bottles and drink containers are worth money 5 cents each so people collect them to collect the deposit.I agree with the other poster though that we should have enough respect for the Hombu and all those who train and live there to take away what we bring and dispose of it in the correct way. There should be no need for others to clean up after us as we are not children and I am sure the Shihan and Hatsumi sensei have more pressing matters to deal with than the lack of controll of others.

Posted on: 2004/3/31 23:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
Quote:

Tarron wrote:
Seems we share a common date of joining the bujinkan George The 15th march is also the date I started training 5 years ago :).

Oh, nice!

Quote:

There should be no need for others to clean up after us as we are not children and I am sure the Shihan and Hatsumi sensei have more pressing matters to deal with than the lack of controll of others.

Right.
The Spring Taikai is starting today. I wonder what would happen during it. Maybe I have to behave like a policeman.

Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu! >> All

Posted on: 2004/4/1 5:35

Permanent Village Fixture
From Northeast Pa, USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I can understand the occasional accident (I'm guilty of that one myself. Long story, but I did appologize ...) but if it's happening constantly that's an issue.

Posted on: 2004/4/6 1:07

Deleted_
Iwata-san found a lot of trash & garbage in/around the Hombu dojo last Sunday. Nothing has changed. Should we be stricter?
(Neither I nor Ed was there.)

Posted on: 2004/4/7 0:24

Deleted_
SAD . On a lighter note I can offer my services as head dojo trash cleaner. I don't take up much room and picking up Rubbish is bound to improve my Taijutsu :))

Maybe it is time to punish the guilty parties though a system of fines like the police do. Less yen in their pockets means less training they can go to the more notice they might take of the rules and how to be a polite guest ? Or to be fair take X amount of yen deposit off all visitors if the dojo is left clean they can get it back at the end of thier visit if left dirty all loose it and it can be put to use for the new dojo. Those who do not litter will keep an eye out for those who do then as it cost them if they don't then you have many police George ?

Posted on: 2004/4/7 0:57

From Northeast Pa, USA
Group:
Probably. You/we shouldn't have to, but the reality appears different than the ideal. :( I do have one strange question though: where is there a garbage can outside? I found trash one day outside on the street (up by the bar), but when I went to throw it away I couldn't find anywhere to do so ...

I think "full-policement" should be the rule though, there's no sense in having just you and Ed do it. Maybe (GFI?) some sort of policy/announcement that everyone is responsible to keep the trash picked up, not just your own -- "everyone make sure everyone keeps the trash picked up"?

On a side note, it was an observant "fellow student" who discovered my error and brought it to my attention, which I greatly appreciated. [I'm hypoglycemic. When my blood sugar goes strange, like it did that day, I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on tight enough ...]

As a second GFI*, I wonder how they would have done it during the civil war era of our "founders"? Family Head/Daimyo says "no trash in the dojo" and someone litters. Hmmm ... "off with 'is 'ead!"? Or you could take the monastic approach and make them sit in Seiza for hours on end meditating on it ...

* GFI --> "Get Fired Idea". The type of idea that would get you fired if you suggested it for real. It's intended as a place to start brainstorming, not as a real solution ...

Posted on: 2004/4/7 2:17

Active Kutakian
From 松戸市、日本
Group:
議長 :: Mod
We found "stuff" laying around after training on Monday night too.

Maybe if the person collecting training fees said "please remember to take EVERYTHING with you, and remind your training partner" when collecting fees that could help.

Not everyone reads "Kutaki". Maybe the people who've seen this can keep an extra eye out for people who may accidently forget something. Jet lag and training can make people a bit forgetful, a polite reminder wouldn't hurt sometimes.

If that doesn't work, maybe someone could refer to a senior shihan about how to handle it rather than trying to decide on "punishments" on Kutaki no Mura.

If I'm out of line here, flame away.

Richard

Posted on: 2004/4/7 9:10

Deleted_
There are very few public rubbish bins in Japan in general. The Hombu and pathways between the Hombu to the train station are certainly not rubbish bins. If you read one of the earlier post by George he said where the nearest bin is.I had no trouble when I was there I would buy my food and drink and put it in my bag. When it was time to eat and drink I would do this then place all my rubbish back into my bag and take it back to where I was staying and dispose of it in the normal way all Japanese households do into the recycling bins.After all when in Rome do as the Romans do. Westeners are so use to having others clean up their mess that we consider it a right to have a bin no more that 10 feet from where ever we are and that some local authority will employ someone to come behind us and empty it. The joke is I don't know how many times in this country I have seen people just drop their rubbish where they stand with a public rubbish bin no more than a few meters from them.
SO LET ME SAY THIS NICE AND LOUD, HATSUMI SENSEI , THE SHIHAN AND NODA CITY OWE US NOTHING AND DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE US WITH BINS AS WE ARE GUESTS THERE AND MANAGED TO FIND OUR WAY TO NODA FROM 1000'S OF MILES / KM AWAY SO FINDING A BIN SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM. All of us who travel to Japan will be judged by the actions and bad behaviour of the few who are doing this sort of thing so it is in our own interest to police ourselves and others if needed and should not just be left to George and Ed to do so. I for one would like to see smiles on the faces of the people of Noda when I walk down those cobbled streets and be welcomed by smiles when I arrive at the Hombu , Not frowns and distrust. Just my 5000 yen's worth thanks :))

Posted on: 2004/4/7 9:39

Active Kutakian
Group:
On this note, can people please not put rubbish in the bin of the establishment on the corner of the street. It will likely cause some conflict with the local residents when they are unable to put their own rubbish in it!

If you bought food at the combini then bring the rubbish back there, otherwise bring it home or some public bin on the way - the train station no longer has bins!!

Posted on: 2004/4/7 21:36

From Northeast Pa, USA
Group:
Quote:
SO LET ME SAY THIS NICE AND LOUD HATSUMI SENSEI , THE SHIHAN AND NODA CITY OWE US NOTHING AND DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE US WITH BINS AS WE ARE GUESTS THERE AND MANAGED TO FIND OUR WAY TO NODA FROM 1000'S OF MILES / KM AWAY SO FINDING A BIN SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM.

1) Might I suggest you edit that statement. Without a colon after "LOUD" it sounds like you're telling Soke off, which is probably not the best thing to do ...

2) Not everyone has all of the idosyncracies of Japan memorized. It was my first time there and I saw no patterns to the availability of trash bins. I saw them at the train station (and then they were covered. Explanations were in Japanese so I'm clueless as to what they said) and in front of the Conbini, but nowhere else.

Having said that:

Are you telling me that public trash bins are not available in Japan? To me that is a significant cultural difference: in the US you can't throw a stone without hitting a public trash can -- you get used to them being there. I've also never heard it mentioned before, even in my tourist guides, but that doesn't mean much. They also didn't mention that the Japanese walk differently than the rest of us ... [They actually use their legs to walk]

Posted on: 2004/4/7 23:49

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor