Ichiba 0 2018/2/21 1:18
Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Gyoko Ryu Ichimonji
Deleted_
Quote:

Kreth wrote:
I think that if you're trying to catch the feeling of a particular ryu-ha, Hatsumi-sensei is a bad example to try and imitate, in that he's beyond breaking things down to Gyokko Ryu or Koto Ryu, etc.

Jeff

I respectfully disagree with this point. I believe that Hatsumi Sensei is the best example for us to follow when it comes to Bujinkan training. I find it to be an interesting paradox that because Hatsumi Sensei is so skilled at what he does that many people feel that his instruction doesn't have a place in their training. The paradox is made more mind boggling by the fact that we quote Hatsumi Sensei to illustrate the point that we are not yet ready to learn directly from Hatsumi Sensei. When it comes to Bujinkan training, it all goes back to Soke, so why in the world should we disregard his instruction in favor of someone else's watered down interpretation of that very same instruction. Granted, we will not necessarily grasp the depth or complexity of any given teaching at any given moment, but the sooner we begin the sooner we start getting that 'dirt time'.

Food analogies seem to be a tradition within the Bujinkan, so I'll give it a go. If one wants to experience that flavor of traditional Mexican food, one does not go to Taco Bell. One goes to Mexico, one goes to the source. The same is true of our Budo, we must go to the source for the full flavor of the Bujinkan, even though we may not yet be ready 'to whip up the recipes at home'.

This post moves away from the original direction of the thread, sorry I will limit any further posts to the main topic.

Thanks again for the opportunity to discuss such interesting topics.

Posted on: 2004/9/11 0:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Columbus, ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I have been doing some thinking about what I meant when I said "I am wondering how circles and straight lines interact." and this is what I have come up with.
When I think of the word 'footwork', it is made up of two words, 'foot' refferring to the body part, and 'work' reffering to what the foot is doing. In physics, work takes energy, and has to do with supporting weight or going against some force which is pushing in the opposite direction. So, when I think of 'footwork' I think of what kind of action the feet do which requires energy, and from my understanding, footwork is all about supporting the weight of the body.
When I move, no matter how I move, I transfer my weight from one foot to the other, but in any step there are only two points of contact for my feet, the beiginning point and the ending point. Therefore the only way I can stand up right while moving is if my weight is transfferred from one foot to the other in a straight line. Of course when doing a circular movement with my foot, it may move in a curve or a circular way, but the only time my foot ever does any 'work'(ie: pushing against a force pushing in the opposite direction) is when it supports my body weight. When my foot is swinging at the end of my leg, it is not really doing any work, it is more my hips which are moving my leg, which is attached to my foot. Also my hips are attached to my spine, which is why I said earlier that if their was any rotation it was around the spine. I apologize for being nit-picky, but I am a perfectionist, and please keep in mind, I am only kyu-grade.

Posted on: 2004/10/8 7:04

Permanent Village Fixture
From Leesburg, Florida, USA
Group:
Quote:

YoruKage wrote:
does my foot that I am not taking the step with slide at all, or should it stay solid. Can I step straight in, or do I need to circle the step a bit?

OK, I am still a kyu rank beginner, and I hope that I am not speaking out of line, but... I am thinking from principle of movement (and what my instructor has taught us). It would seem to me if you "PLANT" yourself or stay solid, you may not have freedom of movement because you may have to shift your weight to one leg or the other to make a move from that point. By sliding your foot so that your weight is more evenly distributed will make it so that you can have a quicker movement without telegraphing your intentions and still be in kamae.

From what I understand, you should be able to pick up either leg and move it without shifting your weight/body to one side or another. We call planting it in kamae, "dropping anchor" and it is not a good thing to do.

That is my .02 cents worth.

Posted on: 2004/10/9 4:19
Florida Bujinkan Network

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
Quote:

YoruKage wrote:
does my foot that I am not taking the step with slide at all, or should it stay solid. Can I step straight in, or do I need to circle the step a bit?
i think the back foot should move but not slide as in touching the ground, i think of that as a sea anchor, or driving with the hand brake on.

fwiw, i agree in 'dropping anchor' you are stopped. we are are taught to keepa going, keep moving ie. 'flow'.

in this way by properly moving (weight shifting through the knees) and shortish steps you are free to move easily in any direction and will have a light foot and a heavy foot. their will be exceptions but in my little bit of experiance this is normally the case.

.1 yen

Posted on: 2004/10/9 11:14

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor