Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Why do you Train?
Permanent Village Fixture
From Northeast Pa, USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
(This seemed different enough to warrant its own thread ...)

Quote:
I agree with Ed, what we are learning is to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

There are lots of different reasons that people train in this art and protection isn't the only valid one. In fact, it's pretty far down on my list of priorities. Given my lifestyle and work, "kicking butt and taking names" isn't likely to be of value to me.

Suicide Bombers don't care*.

Now some of you have heard me say this before, but I think it bears some repeating: I started this art not because of it's combat value (that's a side benefit), but because of the character development/self improvement aspects. Put simply, the person described in "Essense of Ninjutsu" is who I want to be.

That's it.

Now anyone who's met me can testify that I have some self-improvement work to do, so I don't think that my time is being wasted. More importantly, I've come a long way -- thanks in great part to Budo.

But I digress: What reasons are there to study Budo? There are many valid and useful reason, and your reasons may change. What parts of the Bujikan a given person studies will be determined by this.

So, dear reader, why do you study Budo?

Notes: 1) As a civilian employee of the US Army, the greatest threat to my personal safety is terrorism. Consequently awareness is my greatest, and in many ways my only, defense. I'd insert the story about Sensei at FBI headquarters but I can't tell it properly ...

Posted on: 2004/5/19 0:59

Re: Why do you Train?
Villager
From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
Quote:

Toranoko wrote:

Never cared much about the self defence aspects, don't believe much in the personal development stuff...

I do budo because I enjoy it.

Posted on: 2004/5/19 16:13

I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things.
Dorothy Parker
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
Quote:

Toranoko wrote:

I guess originaly because "The Master" Lee van Cleef. Woow that was cool. I was about 10 I guess and couldnt sleep the night before it would be on..

I would run down to the "American bookstore" in Amsterdam and read all the "Ninja Magazine" and "Karate" articles with pictures of SKH and Hatsumi Sensei, Robert Bussey, Doron Navon all these guys were front cover material in those days.. I guess about 20 years ago..

Now I dont like "the master" much (still have some on video) but I still love Budo, it stayed with me.

Posted on: 2004/5/19 16:20

Active Kutakian
From Memphis, TN - USA
Group:
I study for spiritual reasons, and for the sake of art.

Posted on: 2004/5/19 16:22

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

Toranoko wrote:

As a civilian employee of the US Army, the greatest threat to my personal safety is terrorism.

Uh... are you serious?

I think... maybe you actually are...

Pretty much at a loss for words,
Shawn

Posted on: 2004/5/19 17:10

Villager
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
My brother did karate....

He went to check out Bujinkan training....

He started....I continued.....

then all kind of reasons to train came and went....

Today, I see Bujinkan as a once in a lifetime experience...i.e. you get something to work once, and then that thing will never work again

But the feeling when something actually works is great....

Maybe you can call me an addict, but I'm trying to experience that feeling over and over again, because it feels "nice" and it makes me happy. That's my reason to train.

Best regards

Peter Carlsson
Malmö Taijutsuklubb - Bujinkan Dojo
Sweden

Posted on: 2004/5/19 17:34

Honorary Villager
Group:
i learn a lot about people, and i find it builds my confidence. this self confidence lets me be more open with people, and consequently i enjoy life much more and have a whole lot more fun.

Posted on: 2004/5/19 19:31

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
seen all the ninja movies in the eighty's , karate was as close as i could get then, seen 'the last ninja' really wanted to do that stuff. thought my 1 kyu in karate would really help me in ninjutsu, d'oh!.

i wanted to learn something that really worked, not just if someone plays along, even if they are much bigger/stronger than me. i'm not good enough yet to know if i have, but i live in hope and have very strong faith.

i like to think i'm contributing to keep the art alive, in a very small way, lol.

it gives me a feeling of self worth.

i meet nice people(for the most part)

i have great fun!!

dazza

(my 100 th post)

Posted on: 2004/5/19 22:49

Kutaki Postmaster
From Adelaide
Group:
I train for multiple reasons...
first was to find a successful (by that I mean effective and not a mix of lots of styles) and non sport martial art... (I like budo for its workout/spiritual and mental growth, I dont like exercising much cos im just not motivated to do a boring jog everyday or anything)
I also wanted to protect myself as well as protect others... I'm not a classic fighter build...
I like my dojo too, nice and relaxed and yet still respectful...
basically I have everything I need!
all I need now is some dollars to buy some training weapons...

Posted on: 2004/5/19 23:15

村長 :: Sonchou
From Victoria, BC, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
議長 :: Mod
My first time ever in a Bujinkan dojo I met a nidan named Anthony Preeper. Had met him before but never knew he did martial arts until then. He asked me to punch him and I did. All I saw was a black flash move past me and in a split second, he had both my arms crossed and locked and my body bent over forward. I didn't even know exactly where he was. All I thought at that moment was WOW! I hope that one day I can do something like that! (and I still hope . . .)

Besides that, I train because it is physical. Training our bodies to move in amazing ways and to do wonderous things is very satisfying. The learning is endless, I always have fun, and many of the aspects of taijutsu can be applied to our lives and the decisions we make.

Posted on: 2004/5/19 23:31

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor