Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 »

#1 Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
SeanAskew Posted on: 2005/5/25 2:30
I would like to clear up a miss communication that I saw on the website called "Martial Arts Planet";

"Among the three endorsed parties in Sean's Japan list on Kutaki, for example, is Enson Inoue, who has never even trained in the Bujinkan!! Enson is an incredible martial artist in his own right and is a former professional UFC/Pride fighter"

Enson is not a card holding Bujinkan member, this is correct.
But Enson has trained in the Bujinkan arts with myself and Anthony Netzler now for at least 9 years. I gave him his Yondan in the Bujinkan. He is very knowledgeable in the Bujinkan arts but prefers to remain out of the organization itself due to the lack of seriousness and commitment from other Bujinkan members. He is still currently training with Anthony Netzler on a regular basis. He seeks no rank from Soke nor does he seek any publicity from the Bujinkan.

"He runs a dojo in Japan with Anthony Netzler, and both of these men share similar outlooks as Sean with respect to training. Because they all share the same view of training, they are all endorsed under BKR. It's that simple."

All correct again except for that Enson does not run a dojo with Anthony. Anthony is still training under Enson at Enson's gym. Although Anthony and I have worked with Enson in regards to the Bujinkan he is in no way our student. We are all Martial Artists and friends. But I will always consider both Anthony and Enson my teachers. I have learned many things from them both.

Lastly on that same website I also saw someone ask if my BKR endorsements are more important than Soke's ranks.
This again is just a miss communication. My endorsements are just that. You must have attained the rank from Soke before I endorse it. I will only endorse the people I feel are skilled in Taijutsu after Soke has judged their heart!
I promote my students up to Yondan with the BKR syllabus as a base, after that they are Soke's student.

Sometimes I wonder if these are genuine miss communications or if they are spiteful statements trying to cause trouble.
Soke knows what I am doing and Soke knows I endorse ranks. There is nothing hidden or sinister going on. If you have questions regarding the BKR please feel free to ask me. You can reach me at bkrninpo@aol.com

Thank You.

Sean Askew

#2 Re: Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
Yamazu Posted on: 2005/5/25 18:25
Quote:
SeanAskew wrote:
Enson is not a card holding Bujinkan member, this is correct.
But Enson has trained in the Bujinkan arts with myself and Anthony Netzler now for at least 9 years. I gave him his Yondan in the Bujinkan. He is very knowledgeable in the Bujinkan arts but prefers to remain out of the organization itself due to the lack of seriousness and commitment from other Bujinkan members. He is still currently training with Anthony Netzler on a regular basis. He seeks no rank from Soke nor does he seek any publicity from the Bujinkan.

Ah, so it's more like a "honorary Yondan"? To me personally handing a rank to a person not member of Bujinkan is, well, in a way, waste, but hey! that's just me!

PS. I'm known to be a*al about the membership issues, so no surprise there - I (even) ask people to present their membership cards upon attending a (Bujinkan Dôjô) seminar. And training in my Dôjô is not possible if not a member... I see this stated quite clearly in the rules issued by the Honbu. But, again, that's just me!

#3 Re: Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
SeanAskew Posted on: 2005/5/25 22:53
No. Enson's Yondan is not a honorary Yondan. He knew the material in the syllabus and I got the Menkyo from Soke. So what is honorary about this???

So are you saying that anyone who does not have a membership card is not Bujinkan???

Thats fine. Because I have already said he is not a Bujinkan member. He respects Soke, Nagato Shihan and the art but he has no respect for people like you who want to nick pick about the details.
But hey that is just you...annoying.

Since Enson does not go to Bujinkan Dojos in Japan or the USA why should he carry a card??? He is BKR and that is all that is important.

I wonder if you have the guts to ask Doron Novon or even myself for our "membership" card when we enter your dojo?
Or Even ask Enson for his card?? I am sure he would leave you his card...a get well soon card.

How can you honestly think you are practicing Budo if you are going to tell people to go away if they do not have a "membership" card??? This is what I meant by my comment that Enson does not want to become a member of the Bujinkan itself. He trains with people who are serious and dedicated to becoming a better martial artist not a circus of know it alls.

Please. This is a joke.

Sean Askew

#4 Re: Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
kouryuu Posted on: 2005/5/25 22:56
Are the Bujinkan Guidelines also a joke?

Don't they say that there is a good reason for having the card - to preserve the honor of martial artists. There is actually quite a bit of interesting stuff in the paragraph of the Guidelines that talks about the membership card. Why did Soke write all that stuff if its not to be taken seriously?

Shawn

#5 Re: Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
Posted on: 2005/5/25 23:02
Sean, I believe that Bujinkan dan/kyu certificates should be given only to those who are members of the Bujinkan. If he needs the rank, he should pay the fee to get the membership.

#6 Re: Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
SeanAskew Posted on: 2005/5/25 23:10
Hi Joji!

The fees were paid for the certificate.
I do not understand what your point is. Soke has given many ranks to many people outside of the Bujinkan who never paid a single yen!

Shawn,

I do agree that the card is important but I do not see the point in asking to see it before one trains at a dojo.
The cards are important if you are a "member" of the Bujinkan. Enson is not nor does he want to be.

I wanted to give Enson the rank because he learned the material and deserved it. I can not offcially give out any rank without Soke's permission. Therefore I got the rank from Soke and endorsed it as a BKR Yondan.

That's all folks!

Sean Askew

#7 Re: Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
Posted on: 2005/5/25 23:18
Quote:

SeanAskew wrote:
The fees were paid for the certificate.
I do not understand what your point is. Soke has given many ranks to many people outside of the Bujinkan who never paid a single yen!

So what? He can do that because he is the Soke of the Bujinkan. But you aren't, are you? We must obey the rules, and WE (Shidoshi/Shihan) should set good examples for others.

(I'm speaking as the Hombu/Ayase admin here.)

#8 Re: Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
PaulW Posted on: 2005/5/25 23:28
Quote:
I would like to clear up a miss communication that I saw on the website called "Martial Arts Planet";

Then perhaps you should address it there. I strongly dislike cross-posting between forums because the orginal poster may be unaware of it here and and readers here lack any context in which it was posted.

This also encourages people from other forums to come here and lift posts as well.

Quote:
Sean wrote: This is what I meant by my comment that Enson does not want to become a member of the Bujinkan itself. He trains with people who are serious and dedicated to becoming a better martial artist not a circus of know it alls.

If you and your friend have such a low regard for Bujinkan, then why did you issue this rank, and why did he accept it?

Actions should be consistent with words, should they not?

Quote:
He is BKR and that is all that is important.

And BKR is part of Bujinkan, isn't it?

Paul Wersant

#9 Re: Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
DuncanM Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:04
I have I book on Kakutogi in Japanese by Enson and I used one of the techniques shown to very good effect when I was doing all that shootfighting stuff. It's always satisfying to get something to work you find in a book.

I didn't know he had done any Bujinkan training though.

I used to train with Chris "The Hammer" Haseman which was a lot of fun and a good test for me. I don't know much about Enson but had a look at his record here:
http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterid=12

There are a lot of good NHB fighters and trainers - especially in the USA. Probably anyone with a good record and a solid stable of fighters is worth training with.

Still Shootfighting / MMA / NHB is still just a sport. Kano said something like "If you study Judo then you should study Jujutsu" and I sometimes think the same applies in reverse. When you are young and able I think it can be good to mix it up with a bit of martial sport to teach you guts. Even so most of this sort of thing is concerned with conditioning - real fighting concerns mulitiple opponents / weapons and many suprises. If you think you are a good grappler then I feel it is easy to get drunk with your skill and get caught in a trap.

#10 Re: Enson Inoue and the Bujinkan
SeanAskew Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:12
Paul,

Here we go again. I do not dislike the Bujinkan. I dislike the state it is in outside of Japan and I am doing my best to let people know it is time to start training harder with instructors who have received real training. Not "Seminar Black Belts".

Soke asked me to go back to the USA and teach because it has gotten to this sad state. If you do not want to improve the Bujinkan and associate it with high quality martial arts that is fine, but this is my intention.

I do not care if you like the way I cross post from other forums either. I did it because the comments made on that forum were by people that post regularly on this forum. I am not a member at Martial Arts planet. And if you do not like it... do not read it. Why respond?

Yes the Bujinkan Kokusai Renkoumyo is part of the Bujinkan but I do not make members become "card holders". We have other important issues to work on. If a BKR member wants to be a member of the Bujinkan itself then I help them with getting their memberships. If they do not want it then I do not push it. I see no reason for making a student pay for something that half of the time never arrives, when it arrives it is close to expiration and you get nothing but a card for the money. When my students are in Japan they can get their cards if they want them or they can ask me to get it for them.
My dojo members do as they wish. I do not force people to join nor do I chase people to come back when they leave. All I ask is that when they are in my dojo they train and train hard.

I am really starting to get a distaste for this internet stuff. Too many people do not want to listen to what Soke is really saying. Too many just want to argue and shoot down those who have been sent by Soke to teach.

Without the knowledge of those who have trained with Soke, America's "seminar black belts" and "once a year Japan visit Godans" will never get any better.
As dreamy as the skill level of most is, it is false. Progress and improvement require hard work and training with real instructors.
I know this upsets a lot of people but it is the truth.
I said it once before. It is not the Bujinkan that I dislike. It is the fact that everyone is handing out rank like it is candy. This is why I am so outspoken on a syllabus up to 4th Dan. America definitely needs it.
Soke teaches that after 5th Dan it is time to throw the forms away and return to zero. But what do all the people do who pass the test and never have learned the forms in the first place. Make it up as they go along??? I have seen this all too often.

Sean Askew

(1) 2 3 4 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor