Home Project: Shadowbox 3 2018/4/25 21:44
roufus
Ichiba 0 2018/2/21 1:18
Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

In response to the Poll - Makeshift Weapons
Deleted_
Id just like to say that I dont carry anything for the purpose of being a weapon, but anything I carry has the potential to make a great weapon. Not to mention being aware of our surrounding allows us the abilty to see and use so many things in our enviroment to our advantage.

On the poll it was also mentioned about pens. I think pens are GREAT weapons. You couldnt ask for much more than a pen (except to not be there) in most situations.

Have you guys and gals trained with pens ever? I did with an etta kappo (is that how you spell it?) at first but then I tried the real thing. Me and my training partner soon found out that a pen is not quite the same. (I managed to break the red pen on my training partner in the first 5 mins, getting red ink on her clothes ... sorry Tessen ......)

What kind of makeshift weapons have you tried in the past? In real life or training situations is ok.

Posted on: 2003/3/17 10:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: In response to the Poll - Makeshift Weapons
Kutaki Postmaster
From Columbus, ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I have done walking training with a fully loaded backpack before. I am a college student and so a backpack is something I usually carry. I fill it up to the brim, which also helps with balance and leg strength training, kinda like how takamatsu used to carry those heavy buckets of water...kinda like that. But I walk around on a very crowded campus and see what kind of path I can take through a crowd, and how my movement can affect people. I can walk to make peole notice me, and then by swiveling my hip saround people have to get out of my way because my backpack is so full. I try to put some of my intention into the backpack so that people are not getting out of my way so much as avoiding getting hit with this huge backpack. I try to disrupt peoples balance sometimes, but most of the time I concentrate on keeping my own and trying to stay out of other peoples way. I learn that I can switch the responsibility of avoiding a collision from myself to other people. I have seen hatsumi train on video with a belt before and I would like to try that some time. I think a weapon can do many things, some stab, or are heavy, and others distract. A can of pop held so that it is very clear you are drinking from it can distract someone focused on you if you drop it 'accidentally'. Then I can choose what to do next, run, hit, or whatever. Also words are very interesting weapons.

Posted on: 2003/3/18 2:38

In response to the Poll - Makeshift Weapons
Kutaki Postmaster
From Wakefield, England
Group:
I use (or not use) a kubaton. I have it on a set of keys my instructor gave to me for the dojo. I also have on my keys a mini mag lite AA size.

It has some nice edges near the key ring part as well as it being made out of metal, just like my kubaton.

But I have never used these outside of the dojo and I mostly go around unarmed and just blend in as much as I can without drawing attention to myself. As I know where I sm going, I always try and look as anonymous as possible.

The only thing that made me miffed about the poll is that I was too late to place my vote in

Posted on: 2003/3/27 0:23

"Sensei, all your children have guns. What shall we do?"
"Let them kill each other, that way they will learn"

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Hi will-

I presume you know that if you did carry a kubaton around with you, it would be considered an offensive weapon under UK law. This is an arrestable offence and could earn you anything from 6 months (and a fine) to 4 years depending on circumstances.

As you mention, a mini maglite can do the same job without potentially getting you in trouble.

Posted on: 2003/3/28 0:00

Villager
Group:
I saw a guy talking about makeshift weapons once...the only two I remember were a broken broomstick and a soda can.

The soda can/beer can was cool; he crushed it in the middle and twisted it so that it tore into two halves, and suddenly he had these two nasty sharp things, one in each hand, kinda like shuko (is that the right word? the hand-claw things). It only took him a few seconds, too.

The other thing I remember I'm not sure if I'd want to try, because I'm not sure if I'm big enough/strong enough to pull off...but he was sweeping a floor, and a guy came to attack him, so he stomped on the end of the broom, snapping it off, and quickly flipped the (now sharp) broken broomstick up at the guy. Like I said, I'm not sure if I could stomp the end off of a broomstick, but it looked cool.

~D

Posted on: 2003/6/7 7:34

Honorary Villager
From UK
Group:
Hmm.. Makeshift weapons.. How many people wear a belt.. Or a jacket.. Or a tie.. etc etc

Regards,
Gary

Posted on: 2003/6/9 0:05

Frequent Visitor
From Haugesund in Norway
Group:
youre everyday cellphone....great hitting devices (especally the old ones)

Posted on: 2003/6/10 7:15

kubaton??
Kutaki Postmaster
From Wakefield, England
Group:
I actually do carry the kubaton along with the mag lite. For 5 years I have had this and no police have stopped me from having it on my person. As it does have a keyring on the end I can claim keyring.

The only thing I do not do is walk with it in the open. It is either in my bag next to my mobile phone, or in my pocket.

Mind you, for having a kubaton for 5 years and not have to use it is a blessing in itself.

Posted on: 2003/7/26 1:50

"Sensei, all your children have guns. What shall we do?"
"Let them kill each other, that way they will learn"

Kubaton - legal to carry or not?
Frequent Visitor
Group:
Will,

Take a look at this website, which is hosted by a policeman:-

http://www.saunders999.fsnet.co.uk/kubotan/pages/index.htm

In the article on the kubotan and U.K law he states that the kubotan is classed as an offensive martial arts weapon, made to cause injury in the eyes of the law, and also that 'the defence that it is a keyring' does not hold up in court. (It would be pretty crazy if that worked : "This? No, it's not a katana / kyoketsu shoge / 12" bowie knife, it's a keyring... see, it has my housekeys on the end.")

But anway, if you've got a mini maglite, then you don't really need the kubotan, do you ? The maglite can do everything the kubotan can do ... and you probably won't get a penalty of six months to four years in jail if you have to use it, and then meet a copper who has had a bad day and doesn't like the look of you.

Posted on: 2003/7/26 4:10

Re: Kubaton - legal to carry or not?
Frequent Visitor
From Visalia,Ca. USA
Group:
Gassho!
Here in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia there are many law against concealed weapons carry but you can carry folding knives. I myself carry a multi-tool most the time (like the leatherman) ,Mini-Maglight, or a small pocketknife. Not to mention keys. All these could be used as improvised weapons if need be. The multi-tools plyers make a great kubotan with a sharp pointy thing at the end. The belt is also a great idea. Though I only wear one if I'm in a suit and tie enviroment
But most the time whatever the idiot brings along to attack me with is the best weapon to use.
Namaste

Posted on: 2003/7/26 6:35

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor