Ichiba 0 2018/2/21 1:18
Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Origins of Junan Taiso
Honorary Villager
From London, UK
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Can anyone enlighten me on the origins of Junan Taiso and what, if any, ryu-ha it is from?

From what I have seen it is mainly a set of stretching and breathing exercises, but I have this feeling there is more to it. Including strengthening and balance comparable to yoga.

I have two general ways of doing JT, one is the stretch the muscles and center myself for training and the second a full drawn out stretching/breathing/balance/working set that is more of an internal work out. First one takes about 10 to 15 minutes and the second about 45 minutes to an hour.

Posted on: 2004/10/16 0:28

Re: Origins of Junan Taiso
Deleted_
Junan Taiso is really just a general term for stretching and flexability exercises in Japan. The set of stretching and breathing exercises that I think you are refering to are, from memory, called something like Ryutai Undo (dragon body exercise).

These stretching and breathing exercises are shown in Hatsumi-sensei's Japanese book "Ima Ninja" as being a part of Goshinjutsu (self defence) that can be practiced by yourself from the Hichi Buku Goshinjutsu, an ancient method of health and healing, which is part of the Amatsu Tatara Hibun as passed to soke by Takamatsu-sensei.

Posted on: 2004/10/16 22:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
From London, UK
Group:
Thank you Duncan, exactly what I was hoping for; some leads that I can follow up.

Now I have to buy that book of Hatsumi's.

What are the goals of Ryutai Undo(Hichi Buku Goshinjutsu)? How does it heal/maintain? Like chiropractry/reiki/chi gung/massage? A mix of the above maybe?

Posted on: 2004/10/18 11:15

Deleted_
Can anyone tell me what the distinction is between 'junan taiso' and 'gyo'?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2004/10/19 2:06

Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Don't know what "Gyo" you are referring to, where did you get it?

Apart from the section in 'Ima Ninja' their is also an entire section on Ryu'Tai UnDo' in Hatsumi Sensei's 'Togakure-Ryu' Ninpo'Taijutsu' book... and in 'Sengoku Ninpo' Zukan' though it is merely called "Junan Taiso'" with a few extra exercises there... as well as in his 86' video 'Ninja Art of Masaaki Hatsumi Vol 2, The Foundation of TaiJutsu.'

Although he lists the Ryu'tai Undo' as four, he also says to add other exercises. The purpose of these are to strengthen and make flexible the muscles and joints surrounding the hips. My favorite quote Sensei said about Ryu'tai Undo' was, "This is before Kihon Happo'"... and he usually brings this up when teaching kicking or leg blocking.

Apart from Yoga, Hatsumi sensei has also said the the Feldenkrais method that Doron Navon now teaches is exactly in line with our Taijutsu method.

Hichi Buku Go'shinjutsu covers everything you listed (chiropractry/reiki/chi gung/massage) and much more... As Mr Duncan said was to be used when without a doctor... battlefield-like. There are people with Menkyo teaching licenses from Hatsumi Sensei in it and I suggest you serch them out. In the words of Takamatsu Sensei, it is "real medicine."

Posted on: 2004/10/19 4:58

Honorary Villager
From London, UK
Group:
What is it that you mean by "Apart from yoga"? Does that mean Hatsumi says yoga is good as well as Feldenkrais? Or has he not mentioned yoga at all.

I find it funny there are no english books with RyuTai Undo or Junan Taiso put out by Hatsumi. Where did that quote come from, was it in Japanese?

Posted on: 2004/10/19 6:36

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
I believe in every English book, Hatsumi Sensei has talked of the importance of flexibility and exercise as this was highly stressed by Takamatsu Sensei. Specifically, he talks about this in 'Essence of Ninjutsu' and speaks of Junan Undo' in 'Ninjutsu History and Tradition' with the pictures of the four Ryutai Undo' exercises in it.

He said that Yoga was good for the health of the body, but that specifically Feldenkrais was similar in it's style of movement with Taijutsu.

I'll assume the quote you mean is the "real medicine" which occured while we watched the at the time unreleased Takamatsu DVD in the US last year.

He said that Takamatsu sensei told him to study Oriental Medicine. He did and after graduating with a license in it, Takamatsu Sensei told him, "Now I'll teach you REAL medicine!" I took this to mean that Japanese and Chinese Medicine is a good foundation for Hichi Buku Goshinjutsu. That's why their are few that have the license to teach it under Hatsumi Sensei.

Posted on: 2004/10/19 6:55

Re: Hehehe...
Kutaki Postmaster
From JAPAN
Group:
Hatsumi sensei once told me about flexibility which Takamatsu sensei told him before. I do not want to discuss about it in these public space except for my instruction class, because it is his kuden. I only can say that there exists an origin of "Ryutai Undo".

Posted on: 2004/10/19 12:32

Deleted_
Quote:

james wrote:

I find it funny there are no english books with RyuTai Undo or Junan Taiso put out by Hatsumi.

Hello All!

As was mentionned in an earlier post, Ryutai Undo is discussed (a bit) in Hatsumi Sensei's book "Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu". This book has been translated into English and is available through Ninjutsu.com (among others I suppose). For a more in-depth discussion see your friendly neighborhood Shihan as is implicit in Harada Sensei's post .

Posted on: 2004/10/19 21:37

Honorary Villager
From London, UK
Group:
This is exactly what I wanted when I started this thread. My goal was to get starting points for further exploration. I was aware of the english texts which mention flexibility and junan taiso but I want to get the origins and schools associated with it as I believed there was more to it than bending over in the splits and butterfly poistion.

Now I have some schools to look up, labels to follow through with, and direction on which shihan I can look up. On top of all that I have a hint that there is more to it, which is icing on the cake.

I have a seminar coming up this weekend where the instructor will go over Junan Taiso on both days and I have some good leads from this discussion to ask some questions.

Posted on: 2004/10/19 23:55

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor