Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

breathing/dynamic stretching exercise
Honorary Villager
From Weyers Cave, VA, USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello

I'm new (less than a year) to BJK and train with a school club. I stretch out at home most every day - mostly yoga. Since I just turned 34 and am returning to the martial arts after a long hiatus, I find my body needs to be 'whipped into shape' - don't worry - I'm gentle with myself. As such I'm always looking for low impact exercises to add to my solo training.

Just recently I came across a web video of Shidoshi Ed Martin's breathing exercises at http://starbuck.virtualave.net/main/ninpo/index.htm

I was wondering from what tradition these excellent exercises come from? They look extremely Chinese to my acedemic eye, possible chi gung related? An awareness of the history of Bujinkan tells me that this could indicate many possible means of transmission. Including by not limited to something Grandmaster Takamatsu, Hatsumi Soke, or Mr. Martin might have picked up along the way, or maybe even traditional warm-ups from one of the Ryu-ha. But I speculate, perhaps Mr. Martin himself could comment...

I'm continually amazed at the depth of the Bujinkan system, and the quality of dialog on this forum. Any comments or related suggestions would be highly welcome.

Thanks
John Haverkamp

Posted on: 2005/3/2 5:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: breathing/dynamic stretching exercise
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
They do originate from a chinese style, I received them from Charles Daniel and do them daily. It looks like I must wait another 3 weeks till my shoulder heals enought to get back to them right now, but as soon as that occurs I'll be back to daily usage again. I remember a story about Dr. Hatsumi being shown a technique from another art and being asked "do you have that in your art?" His answer was reported as "we do now!" When I asked him if we could use things from other arts that worked his answer was an emphatic "yes". Simply put "whatever works" we can use. There is in the Chinese styles the same that we have in gyoko ryu which only means that our art came from many sources and what we kept was what worked. Those breathing exercises oxyginate the body which is very important to your health, they do dynamic stretching which strengthens the connective tissue rather then teaching the connective tissue to not do their job of protecting the joint (like over doing static stretching). All the arm movements are usable in our art and will be in your muscle memory as well as the use of the spine which teaches how to align the skeleton for power in your strikes. I've adapted the attitude that I don't care where it came from if it works. I'll use it -- and give proper credit for the source, that is only respect.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/3/2 5:50

Honorary Villager
From Weyers Cave, VA, USA
Group:
Mr. Martin

Thanks for the info and the exercises! I think you're right about dynamic vs. static stretching. I experienced my knees going out several weeks back, and thought it might have been from over stretching without a corresponding increase of strength in the nearby muscle groups.

What a pleasure to be involved in a martial art which is both venerable and alive.

That quote from Hatsumi Soke makes me smile. "We do now!"

Reminds me of a similar saying attributed, I believe to Picasso, "Good artist imitate, great ones steal."

Not quite the same thing- but demonstrates a similar artistic élan. Credit where credit is due - certainly! Any real artist knows they stand on the shoulders of giants, yet I believe Picasso in his roughish way is advocating for the same attitude – 'if it works - use it'.

Regards,

John Haverkamp

Posted on: 2005/3/2 13:13

Active Kutakian
From Belgium
Group:
Got dragged to Pilates class recently by my girlfriend and it's been kind of painful. The result, though is that I'm in much better shape when stretching before class. Would recommend that combo to those in their mid 30s....

G. Vreeman

Posted on: 2005/3/2 15:48

Honorary Villager
From Durham, NC USA
Group:
Thanks for posting this. Good stuff!!

Made me dizzy the first few times.

BTW, did anyone else happen to notice the screen flicker from dimmer to brighter each time on his exhale??

Posted on: 2005/3/3 5:04

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor