Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Hello.
Honorary Villager
From Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Well now, I am very glad that I am not the only one who is training on their own. It kind of sucks that I dont live very close to a Dojo (about 2 hours w/light traffic). But through Shihan Hayes' books and Hatsumi Sensei's books I have learned alot, I plan on starting the home study course offered by Shihan Richard Von Donk. Does anybody have any comments on his program, wether it is good or not. I'd love to here about more of the same programs if possible.

Posted on: 2005/2/16 9:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Hello.
村長 :: Sonchou
From Victoria, BC, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
議長 :: Mod
Hi there!

If you use the search feature at the bottom of the main page, you can type in "home study," "black belt course," or "Richard Van Donk" and a lot of past threads will come up for your perusal.

Have fun and good luck!

Posted on: 2005/2/16 10:33

Deleted_
I haven't seen them but I think the best thing is to buy the Hatsumi-sensei's videos first.

To use them well watch each small section and try to copy the moves with a friend properly until you are able to work more freely with it. If you haven't got someone to practice with then I think the best start is to buy the weapon DVDs and work through them - once you catch the flow within weapons movement you'll make much quicker progress when you are able to move to taijutsu.

Other peoples videos might be okay but you are much better off using the resourses that Hatsumi-sensei puts out.

Posted on: 2005/2/16 10:44

Deleted_

Posted on: 2005/2/16 13:31

Honorary Villager
From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
hey shinobi this is Syke. I recognized your name from the mesageboard at my website bujinkan los angeles. anyways, if you really want those van donk videos, i have the entire set. i bought it before i had found my school. if you want to, i can send you one so that you can view it. than maybe if i ever have a chance, ill go down to SB and we can do a little bit of training.PM me if you want me more info about the tapes. gambatte!

Posted on: 2005/2/16 13:48

Train for war....Pray for peace.

Deleted_
It takes 2 hours from my company to Hombu, but I travel every week with my big luggage. It's part of my training, and I enjoy it.

Posted on: 2005/2/16 13:55

Honorary Villager
From Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Group:
Well, I guess my next question is, Is there anyone close to Santa Barbara that I can Carpool with to either the Newbury Park Dojo, or the Bujinkan of LA dojo?

Posted on: 2005/2/16 16:29

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
in short the video set is pretty poor quality and overpriced for what it is.

there is a lot of stuff contained in them but it's all over the place.(you can't watch all kihon happo in one go, it's all graded on different tapes. i felt there is also a lack of detail, information he is often about to talk about is (very roughly)edited out.

he does strike me as a very skilled man with a great sense of humor, i think he would be a great shihan to be under(actually going to his dojo)

i would give his video set a miss, spend the money on soke's dvd's as duncan mentioned, or go to a few seminars.

good luck in your budo.

Posted on: 2005/2/16 17:42

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
In June Jack Hoban holds the west coast Buyu Camp just outside of San Francisco. Many of the instructors and students from California and nearby are in attendance. I'd encourage you to come and network with those there. It's June 17-19 this year. The more you network with those in the art the more people you find that are training and often there is no other way to find them. Anyway, just a suggestion for you.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/2/26 5:27

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor