Ichiba 0 2018/2/21 1:18
Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Gap-Filler
Honorary Villager
From Costa Mesa, CA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
From people I've known here at college and from people who trained in Taijutsu that I met before college I picked up some basics (some of the 16 fists, the Kamae, the Sanshin, the Kihon Happo, and some Ukemi). I also at one point owned the Ninpo Taijutsu DVD that Stephen Hayes made. However, I'm no longer amongst any of these people and I don't have a car on campus to go to the nearest dojo (3 to 4 hours away by car).

The good news is that once I get accepted into the university I want to transfer to there is a Taijutsu Club there where I can continue my training. Until that time comes, what videos would be best as a "gap filler" between now and when I can join the Taijutsu Club?

Thank you for your time.

Addition: I am not looking to obtain rank with these videos. I just want to keep working on my basic skills. Also, the only outside resource I have right now is "Way of the Ninja -- Secret Techniques" by Hatsumi-sensei.

Posted on: 2005/8/2 8:54

Re: Gap-Filler
Villager
From Singapore
Group:
Hi
There's a couple of excellent videos on Sanshin and Kihon from the Quest series. I can't remember their names off-hand (anyone?).
You really can't go wrong with practicing the basics and it will help you create a foundation for what you learn later.
Hope that helps
Justyn

Posted on: 2005/8/2 10:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
From St Louis,Missouri USA
Group:
The Jack Hoban series is a good buy. Also kobudo no kihon will help get you refreshed.

Posted on: 2005/8/2 11:01

Gateway Bujinkan

Honorary Villager
From Costa Mesa, CA
Group:
Thank you for your suggestions and for your understanding of my situation.

Posted on: 2005/8/2 13:51

Deleted_
Another video to add to the recommended list is "Budo-wa nan desu-ka" (if I got the title right )

p.s.

Are you completely alone in your training currently?

i.e. no warm bodies to throw around?

Otherwise, it might be difficult to practice anything seen in those videos.

For solo work, I whole-heartedly recommend sanshin and ukemi - as best as you know how.

BTW, I really liked that book too, Way of the Ninja. It's a good break away from the forms of techniques, and more into the mindset of ninpo taijutsu.

Posted on: 2005/8/3 12:21

Honorary Villager
From Costa Mesa, CA
Group:
I'm not completely alone. I do have one or two people that are willing to be warm bodies now and again. However, it's not an everyday thing that I get to practice my Uragyaku or Gansekinage. However, my Kamae, Ukemi, Sanshin, and strikes aren't too bad off.

Posted on: 2005/8/4 1:45

Frequent Visitor
From AZ
Group:
I think some of the best things you can do have already been stated- practice your sanshin, ukemi etc. I had posted a thread in a different forum about training drills and if instructors have their students do drills or just jump into kihon or whatever they are working on for that night. I think that drills are an essential part of one's training. I make my new students do drills for several weeks before doing any "combat". This shows if the student has at least some dedication, and they are benefitting from focusing soley on movement- not swinging their arms around like a tweeker and falling over at the same time while trying to understand the simplicity of taijutsu:).

In order to have a good grasp of things to come in your future training you have to have a solid beginning. Just my opinion, but you can never go wrong with beating the basics into yourself until you are bored. Then you do it some more

Talking to inanimate objects are good too, that way if anyone sees you practicing your sanshin/ukemi while talking to a tree or rock- they will probably steer clear of you. You have now mastered the core philosophy- avoid conflict to begin with

Posted on: 2005/8/6 4:01

Honorary Villager
From Costa Mesa, CA
Group:
LOL!

Thanks for the positive reply. I found something to close the gap up a little bit in my gap-filler time, too. In Illinois on September 17th there is a Kihon Happo and Sanshin seminar that I may go to. With stuff like this being my only opportunities I'm starting to feel like I'm living out those stories of people's "Beginner Days" from the 1980s when I was still trying to learn from Ninja Turtles cartoons.

Posted on: 2005/8/9 0:21

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
hey what's wrong with ninja turtles lol!!

Posted on: 2005/9/18 18:17

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor