Ichiba 0 2018/2/21 1:18
Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Ise Jingu
Villager
From Manchester, England
Group:
村民 :: Villager
i have just recently visited the website of the famous "Jingu" shrine and found that the information and facts of the shrine quite interesting, just wondering if there are any kutakians on here that have visited the Jingu or any other shrines and could someone perhaps tell me of their experience when they visited a shrine of any kind in Japan.

Arrigato (^_^)

Giuseppe

Posted on: 2006/1/28 5:12

Re: Ise Jingu
Villager
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Giuseppe,

Thanks for the lead, is this the webpage that you read?
http://www.isejingu.or.jp/english/index.htm
If so, then wow, that is a lot of really interesting information. The format is really good too. I have never visited that particular shrine, but I would like too. It is rather famous I think. I can't believe how far it is from Tokyo, maybe 4 or 5 hours by train. Has anyone ever visited this particular shrine before?

There are shrines all over Japan. Some are famous and some are very small shrines only known to locals. For example, there is Meiji Jingu in Tokyo which I have been to. I went during Shichi-Go-San holiday last year and I saw families dressed up in traditional Japanese clothes, especially the children were wearing kimono. It was very busy because of the holiday. It is a very beautiful shrine and I recommend going next time you are in Japan. http://www.meijijingu.or.jp/ I believe this shrine is dedicated to the Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken. Anyway, you can read more about it on the webpage, and if you go on sunday, near the Meijijingumae station, there are a bunch of kids cosplaying and you can take pictures of them, they don't mind.

There is a local shrine right down the road from my house. There is usually nobody there and it looks a little run down, but it is still interesting. There is the shrine and some small statues in it. I can take pictures and put them on my webpage, which I probably should, so my family can see what my town looks like. They are always wanting more pictures.

Anyway, when you visit a shrine, there isn't much ettiquette to follow, just be quiet and polite. Don't take pictures unless you see others doing it, but be observant because there might be signs saying no pictures. Usually, you can take pictures outside of the shrines, but not inside any buildings in the shrine complex (just my general rule, observation is always the best way to find out info though). This goes for buddhist temples too. Just observe what others are doing. If you are unsure about pictures, just ask someone that works at the temple "shashin tote mo ii desu ka?" ("Can I take a picture?") Sometimes you have to pay a fee to go in some temples. It is usually not much, a couple hundred yen. When I go to temples, I like to to buy omikuji (here is an online omikuji just for fun http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~EB3Y-KKTK/omikuji/omikuji.html )
At some bigger shrines, you can get English Omikuji, I usually say something like (and i am still learning Japanese, so there are probably better ways to say this) "eigo no omikuji ga arimasu ka?" If the omikuji is good, keep it, and if it is not so good, then tie it to the tree or whereever you see the others tied. It's something I always do at a shrine. I even saw a Omikuji vending machine (they make vending machines for everything here). Also there are lots of Shrines and Temples in Kamakura. I recommend you visit the Large Buddha (Daibutsu) and Hase Dera temple. They are really interesting and beautiful. I kind of went on a rant here, didn't I? HA HA, oh well. I like going to temples and shrines, I don't really get tired of seeing them. Also, you can do a day trip to Nikko and see some really old temples and shrines in a huge complex, they have a lot of historical background to them.

Posted on: 2006/2/8 11:28

Re: Ise Jingu
Villager
From Manchester, England
Group:
Hello fellow Kutakian, that is indeed the web page i visited. and i was quite impressed with the Jingu. I must say i'm quite impressed with all things like that it gives out that certain aura, and thae art work of the shrine and many other shrines is marvelous. This is also one of the main reasons why i would love to visit Japan because of the history and culture of the country and i have just recently found a form of interests in the national religion of Japan not that i'm going to practice it or anything but i have to admit the history behind it all is so rich and vibrant, very very intersting indeed.

Yours.

Giuseppe

Posted on: 2006/2/8 20:54

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor