Edit Button
村長 :: Sonchou
From Brussels
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
村長 :: Admin
Hello,

Many people ask me about deleting or editing their posts. It is possible to delete your post during a certain period of time after you wrote it (I don't know the duration right now, should look it up). After this, you can't anymore. This is to prevent people from going back and changing their words after the thread is well under way and they have already put their foot in their mouth. This way we try to stimulate people to think twice about their post before they submit it. This setting will not change in the future.

"Do or do not, there is no try" Jedi Master Yoda

Take care,

Jan Ramboer

Posted on: 2006/2/4 18:16

‘It is only when the eyes and the brain get exhausted that there are no lies and you can get the truth’ Thomas Hirschhorn
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Unsubscribed
Re: Edit Button
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Jan,

thank you. finally, someone has pointed out the utter childishness of deleting a post, as if attempting to "take back" what was said. too late. it's already out there. sure, there have been many occasions where i would have liked to edit my words. but i'm glad that i could not. i just look at the mistakes as a learning tool.

Luke: "I'm not afraid."

Yoda: "You will be."

Jan, do you think you or another moderator could do something about all these new villagers not signing their posts with their real names? i don't find cowardice to be a virtue.

thanks,

mark spada

Posted on: 2006/2/4 21:28

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
Quote:

Strider wrote:
finally, someone has pointed out the utter childishness of deleting a post, as if attempting to "take back" what was said. too late

You're right Mark but why do you guys assume that it would always be used for changing the actual content of the post?
E.g. when I put down a long post about something and no matter how many times I read it through, there might still be typos in that. I know it's not such a terrible disaster, but still it is pretty annoying when I read it through many times, at last I post it, and I realize some more typos only when it's already up and it is not possible to touch anymore. It was especially uncomfortable when I posted something in the Poetry forum and had to post the corrected version of the poem again because the typo killed the rhyme. It was just uneasy. But let's throw a veil over it.

This whole thing is not of a great importance, and really the world will go on even if we make typos.
So don't take me wrong, I have no prob with the rule, what is more, I deeply agree with it and it does not require a great effort to adhere to.

It's just that I have the feeling you're assuming some coward and sly attitude from all those who would use this function if it was possible.
I really don't understand why you guys always have to assume the worst, to search for "a bad guy", a public enemy... Is it entertaining or what?

Eva

Posted on: 2006/2/4 22:20

Villager
From Anderson, Ca USA
Group:
Eva

It's kinda like the radio edits of songs with "Street Language" lyrics or a "Beef Stew" without the Beef. It does take some of the flavour out and in the latter makes the statement "Beef Stew" questionable to say the least.

If I were to have walked into a recent thread and the troll's comments had been altered or deleted. I am afraid I might have sided with the Kook (Technical Language), and felt them to have been persecuted.

This is not "The victor writes the history" This is the battle for that history is now in a different theatre and would continue, ad nauseaum. Unless the abilty to time travel were removed. Control the battlefield. Simple strategy.

Are there any historians out there that can recount a specific instance where a culture was weakened by the deliberate alteration of the past?

Mistakes are just that. Typoes are lovely and to me can show the emotion the writer is involved with.

Posted on: 2006/2/5 0:12

From Brussels
Group:
Quote:

Cuthalion wrote:

I really don't understand why you guys always have to assume the worst, to search for "a bad guy", a public enemy... Is it entertaining or what?

Eva

Oh do we 'always' assume that?

I am rather convinced we are just trying to run things here in the best possible way. I don't see bad guys here....

May the force be with you,

Jan Ramboer

Posted on: 2006/2/5 0:28

‘It is only when the eyes and the brain get exhausted that there are no lies and you can get the truth’ Thomas Hirschhorn

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
*sigh* I kinda knew you would take me wrong. Well, men will never understand women As I said, although it's sometimes annoying to live without it, after all I also agree with the rule of not allowing post-editing your writings. I work in an IT service sector, so I really know how important it is to keep things under control. Anyway.

I only had a problem with the explanation of why this kind of restriction is needed. With that you automatically considered everyone who wanted to use this option to be in one cathegory with those trolls.

Probably it's just my overdeveloped sense of justice, so let's not chew on it any longer, okay?

I really appreciate all your efforts guys, I know how hard it is to keep everything going well and keep things under control. I am sure this rule is needed, I would also apply it if I was the admin. But I would not explain the reasons in details, as it might offend those who really have nothing to hide.

So, peace, love, hot-chocolate....

Eva

Posted on: 2006/2/5 1:22

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
My original concern with this new "feature" was that in the begining, when Kutaki was "upgraded", I couldn't immediately go back in and proof-read/edit my posts.

The nature of how I write is such that I often don't catch my own typos until I can look at the final product.

This reply is a test to see if I can korekt this typo...

Posted on: 2006/2/5 5:38

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Quote:

antizen wrote:
My original concern with this new "feature" was that in the begining, when Kutaki was "upgraded", I couldn't immediately go back in and proof-read/edit my posts.

The nature of how I write is such that I often don't catch my own typos until I can look at the final product.

This reply is a test to see if I can korekt this typo...

Ok, for the record Jan - I was not allowed to edit this post in the immediate seconds after I submitted it.

Please, don't take this as a hostile comment, but if you guys do not wish to fix this feature, then please take me off of Kutaki. Frankly it's just gotten too weird on this board.

For anyone who is reading this for the first time, I've been one of the one's asking about the lack of editing permission since the upgrade. No big deal, I just don't want to be here under these current conditions. It's become contentious.

Please excuse any typos in this reply.

Posted on: 2006/2/5 5:44

From Brussels
Group:
I'll test this and try to fix it 'soon'. (Busy atm with testing a patch which should fix several bugs of the upgrade version).

This board is not weird, all the other boards are weird,

Jan Ramboer

Quote:

antizen wrote:

Ok, for the record Jan - I was not allowed to edit this post in the immediate seconds after I submitted it.

Posted on: 2006/2/5 5:50

From Brussels
Group:
Okay, I fixed it. You have 15 minutes time after submission to edit your post. This should be enough to get rid of your typos.

BTW, did you know you have a preview button?

Take care,

Jan

Posted on: 2006/2/5 7:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor