Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Tessen Construction
Honorary Villager
From massachusetts
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I was wondering how they attached the cloth to a tessen. I have searched google and have found nothing to help me. I have cut 7 1/8" thick 7" long 1/2" wide steel plates, drilled holes in the bottom and pinned them together. All that is missing is the cloth to go in the middle and to hold it on. I have a full machinist shop to work with and a CNC milling machine to help drill holes if needed for my thought of sewing it on.

Posted on: 2007/1/6 5:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Tessen Construction
村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
議長 :: Mod
村長 :: Admin
Although I don't know what exactly the original tessens were made of, I gave it some thoughts and I think that it depends on what kind of fabric the cloth is made of. And also, on how you did cut the cloth, I mean what shape.
And of course if you want to cover the plates with the cloth from both sides or not.
I have a few ideas for each.

Eva

Posted on: 2007/1/6 5:23

Honorary Villager
From Florida- U.S.A.
Group:
Hello-
I'm not entirely sure either but for some reason i believe they sowed two peices of cloth together with slits, where you could slide the cloth onto the metal bars. if that makes sense. then for a glue like material, you could boil some white rice, then smear it into a paste, and use that, when it dries it is as strong as glue. hope that helps you.

Posted on: 2007/1/7 8:48

Honorary Villager
From massachusetts
Group:
It helps some. I forgot to specify that it is a folding fan. I need to figure out how it is attached so that it may fold up. My plan is to drill a hole in the center and near the top and lace the cloth vertically through the spine. In shop soon I will try my theory and let you know how it goes.

Posted on: 2007/1/8 22:07

Honorary Villager
From massachusetts
Group:
Ah it works fairly nice and it has some flaws which I can fix on my next model: it needs to be longer, put washers between spines, drill holes first and drill a few more, use thinner fabric, engrave a signature on the outer spine, chi, sui, ka, fu, and ku on the spines between all in Japanese. I will have pictures of the cheap version and when I complete the better version. Can't wait

Posted on: 2007/1/9 22:21

Honorary Villager
From massachusetts
Group:
I have been quite inactive from this forum lately with all my training and with school, however I did get pictures that I promised but the improved one was put on hold with all the other designs I've had, the pictures are here http://www.putfile.com/dothacker2/images/103063 but you can browse my other ningu in the parent folder, tell me what you think, most are prototypes but most work as intended :D

Posted on: 2007/6/12 22:47

Occasional Visitor
Group:
Wow, you have some talent crafting things. The tessen is nice. When you finalize the pattern and make them the way you feel is correct, maybe you should throw around some ideas on selling them. I would buy a good handmade tessen.

Shawn

Posted on: 2007/6/13 2:16

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor