Bumbling-budoka

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

where do you train outside the dojo?
Villager
From County Down, Northern Ireland
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Anyone else have problems finding appropriate locations to practice breakfalls and rolls outside the dojo?

I live in a large suburban town with few fields that arent overlooked by buildings so would look like a jackass and my house is kind of small and not appropriate for training and i dont have a grass lawn.

Just wondered if anyone else had this problem and just fishing for suggestions.

Thanks.

Thomas G.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 9:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: where do you train outside the dojo?
Kutaki Postmaster
From Colorado
Group:
Well I used to roll and do breakfalls on the sidewalk and pavement after classes while walking my dogs. It was funny as one night a patrol car stopped to make an inquiry. "Have you been drinking sir" No just jazzed on my martial arts.

Seriously, you can really practice anywhere. Small is good. What happens if you need to use kaiten or ukemi in a hallway? Or if it is on the street. I would not rush to concrete or pavement but you should ultimately be able to do it. How about falling out of bed?

Posted on: 2008/6/3 12:54

Alan Witty...
www.warriorwindma.com

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
My hometown of Vancouver has a lovely park, Queen Elizabeth Park, which features a wide plaza that has been the location for martial practice (especially tai chi) for decades. Some Bujinkan dojos have trained there, and last time I was in Vancouver, I trained solo up there. I was hardly alone, though - there were many tai chi and kung fu groups and solos out there. The park has developed a strong and positive representation of martial arts in Vancouver.

Nicky mentioned training in tight spaces. Last Saturday at Gray Dojo, T and SS were dive rolling over one tatami mat, and then we turned it around, squeezing ourselves into mae ukemi inside the length of one mat. You could always train in your own space.

If you're really worried about rubber knecks when you're training outside, wear street clothes and tell anybody curious enough to ask that you're doing parkour practice.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 13:30

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

Nicky690 wrote:

Well I used to roll and do breakfalls on the sidewalk and pavement after classes while walking my dogs. It was funny as one night a patrol car stopped to make an inquiry. "Have you been drinking sir" No just jazzed on my martial arts.

better yet, play frisky with your dogs. a good excuse to hit the ground. it's better than rolling in the mud with hogs!

Quote:

Erizabesu wrote:

If you're really worried about rubber knecks when you're training outside, wear street clothes and tell anybody curious enough to ask that you're doing parkour practice.

very good advice ma'am. depending where you're at(or living) people will see you as kinda weird or kinda cool in relation on their knowledge about parkour.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 19:44

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
Or you could save up and buy one judo-style tatami mat for your house. It could store away in a wardrobe or under a bed, but even with just one you can practice a lot of taihenjutsu without fear of injuring yourself.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 20:56

Frequent Visitor
From Canada
Group:
Playgrounds are nice to train at - just don't be creepy about it.

Posted on: 2008/6/4 3:08

Kutaki Postmaster
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
When i was going to a Gym on a regular basis, i would try to schedule my workouts so that i did then in a quiet period when the usual Aerobics classes and such were not using the room.

I found that the Gym management didnt mind me ducking into the room for 15 mins to half an hour to roll around, as long as i got out prior to the classes starting (most Gyms have their schedules up on the wall, so it's easy to plan around).

I found this location to be good. For one thing, i could close the door for a little quiet and privacy, and these aerobic class rooms have mirrors on the walls, so that helped me to monitor my form.

Just a thought for you..............

Posted on: 2008/6/4 10:23

Just Passing Through
From Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
Group:
We train in the local park. We start just before dark and the park is crowded. Once darkness falls, we are the only ones there. My guys are very good at their ukemi. You get that way quickly when you train outdoors. Stop limiting yourself. Tell the local police that you practice TaiJutsu every Wednesday night and start having fun!

Barry Cupp
Southern Illinois Ninjutsu
myspace.com/sininjutsu

Posted on: 2008/6/4 11:41

Honorary Villager
From Blountville, Tennessee
Group:
Anywhere will do. Inside, outside, classroom, gym, pavement, field, grass or playground - you name it.
All are great opportunites to develop/better your ukemi.

Harder surfaces (concrete, pavement, etc.) tend to make you more aware of you ukemi weak points. But, only practice on harder surfaces when you feel comfortable.

Not that it matters what others think, but in a big city, I would practice in a park or at your dojo. Gymnastic/acrobatic gyms are excellent places to learn (without the fear of getting hurt too).

just my two cents,

Posted on: 2008/6/4 13:25

"To secure peace is to prepare for war."
- Carl Von Clausewitz

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Don't forget mud.

This was some training we did in Vancouver, February 2007. They don't call it 'Rain Warrior Dojo' for nothing...

_MSC_CLICK_TO_OPEN_IMAGE

_MSC_CLICK_TO_OPEN_IMAGE

Shawn

Posted on: 2008/6/4 23:36

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor