Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

which time intervalls for the single kyu/dan-examinations?
Occasional Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hy there villagers!

Which time intervalls for the single kyu/dan-examinations do you have/had in your dojo`s?
I`ve trained karate and jujutsu, and it was always a 3-4 month period. Is it the same in the bujinkan?
I`m looking for an average.
Thanx for replies..
..and sorry for my terrible english

Posted on: 2008/11/13 23:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: which time intervalls for the single kyu/dan-examinations?
Frequent Visitor
From San Diego
Group:
Hi kusa,

You'll find one of two replies on here:

(1) Rank in the booj does not matter nearly as much as the training and is thus not indicative of one's true abilities in the art

OR

(2) A very long time :)

To an extent, both are correct. Generally students who are concerned primarily with rank advancement, while their ambition may be admirable, do not stay around very long. It's not uncommon for a shodan to have been in the booj for 5 years or more, and I've known others who have gotten there in 12 months, based on - again - abilities. I won't even go into the numerous times I've seen a 4th kyu give that same shodan a run for his money. Rank is a color, taijutsu an art. You need colors to create art, but the final product will always be subjective to the viewer.

Brian M
San Diego

Posted on: 2008/11/14 4:40

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

kusa wrote:
Which time intervalls for the single kyu/dan-examinations do you have/had in your dojo`s?

We have 3 or 6 months between Kyû-grades, a couple of years between Dan-grades.

All in all the grade should speak about the grasp of the martial art in question, and this might be judged differently between each teacher.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 16:42
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Occasional Visitor
Group:
I know, the rank is just a colour/number, and the most important is that your taijutsu "grow up".
I did only want to know the average. but it`s difficult to show one, because every person is an individual...

so, in this way: NINPO IKKAN

Greetings from the hidden mountains in switzerland!

Posted on: 2008/11/14 18:53

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
Rank and "ranking" is something each instructor must address. It their "ranking" is not related to the persons skills that instructor will lose creditability. For myself the kyu ranks are a time when the instructor evaluates the student's "heart" and the student gains the basic skills as shown in ukemi, san shin, and kihon happo. By the time sho-dan is awarded the student must be known to have a "good heart" and have those basic skills that will enable them to move on. Rank, IMO, should never be based solely on time, it should be based on what the student does, their skill level. Each instructor has their own idea about this and so there will be a lot of difference in what a person of a given rank will be capable of doing. Bear in mind that if it is too far from what should be, it is his/her instructor who will lose creditability. The student deserves the best that his/her instructor can give them, they deserve honest evaluation. If what has been learned works in a real situation then they have been taught well if not, then there was a failure. This art is a very pragmatic art, again in my opinion. It does work and it does adapt to whatever the situation requires.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 22:01

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
I totally agree with Papa-San and want to add that I remember Soke said that to attend the Sakki test you must have been training at least for 8 years, so it is 3 years to Shodan the shortest.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 23:28
-----------------------------------------

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
Rank, IMO, should never be based solely on time, it should be based on what the student does, their skill level.

Ah, I was a bit too unclear, apparently. My bad.

We have 3/6 months (depending on the grade to be) "default" time between grading tests. We also push for regular training (twice a week during that time period between ranks).

So, the time and "mileage" will take you to the testing, but it will be up to you how you have spent the time and distance and be able to show progress in your Taijutsu...

Yes, if it was simply time... well... could that be gotten by mereley sitting aside the Tatami, too?

Posted on: 2008/11/15 4:49

Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
Two related questions. First, is there any better value in keeping just white, green, and brown as the colored belt ranks? It seems more reasonable to sort things as "this student is working on intermediate technique and that one is just starting the path." The other advantage is that you could move to a more practical uniform, like white, green, brown, and black t-shirts for indoors and sweaters for outside. :)

Since anyone can maintain psycological impetus for up to 90 days, the times then become something like "3 months as a white belt, 6-9 to learn the basic theory, and 12-18 to integrate the intermediate techniques into ones own physiology." You set the expectation for slow but measured advancement as an individual, not a waist decoration.

Second question; is the belt measuring the art or the person? For example, if another art considers a 1st degree black belt to be the sign of a "serious student", and that person expands their training to taijutsu, what "belt" are they?

Leam

Posted on: 2008/11/15 20:16

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Quote:

Leam wrote:
First, is there any better value in keeping just white, green, and brown as the colored belt ranks?

A curious counter-question; how many Bujinkan Dôjôs use brown belts?

Quote:

Leam wrote:
Second question; is the belt measuring the art or the person? For example, if another art considers a 1st degree black belt to be the sign of a "serious student", and that person expands their training to taijutsu, what "belt" are they?

Shouldn't it be telling how well the student has grasped the teachers lessons, understands what is being taught and can train that way?

I'd say "the persons grasp on the art".

As to the "migration"... as I see it is about "how" things are done, not "what" is being done, so someone migrating - with any grade - from another MA will have possibly very differing Taijutsu. They can possibly "go through the motions" but... that's the easy part, right?

Posted on: 2008/11/15 23:42

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
Since the kyu ranks are a time of getting a grasp on basics as well as determining the "heart" of the student, Why do we need any other color then green? I don't use another color. but if you think it helps the students growth process then go ahead. I know a number of schools do, in Japan they don't. Immage is not just a "Western civilization" attitude, it also exists in the oriental world. I'm more interested in reality not image when it comes to our art.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 1:28

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor