Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Crash mats
Villager
From County Down, Northern Ireland
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Can anyone recommend a good online source for purchasing ukemi-suitable crash mats?

My budget is about US $80 but i'm flexible.

Thomas G.

Posted on: 2009/1/31 6:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Crash mats
Villager
From Abbotsford, BC Canada
Group:
Eighty bucks for crash mats? Good luck!

For a while I used "Home Depot" puzzle mats over carpeting. It wasn't very $$ but it wasn't all that good either...

Eventually I ponied up for real mats - I got a good deal from Dollamur for four 6 x 18 mats but it cost me about $2000 after shipping and taxes.

That said, I try to balance out my mat time with outdoor stuff to keep my ukemi ftrom becoming too weak.

I guess there is always Craigslist.

Chris

Posted on: 2009/1/31 7:08

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
at first I could not guess what kind of mats you have in mind... I was thinking maybe you would like a thick foam mat that is used for beginning tumplig practice etc...

have a look at the thread "homemade mats"
http://www.kutaki.org/modules/newbb/v ... ic_id=3923&forum=23&type=

there are a few suggestions for very cheap solutions there (especially useful IMHO is layers of cardboard or layers of carpet)

hope this helps!

peace
mn

Funny, search for "mats" sis not reveal that thread. I remembered I used the word "zebra" in my post so I searched for "zebra" and we were lucky, that there was not too many threads about visits to the zoo and safari.

Posted on: 2009/1/31 10:34

Villager
Group:
@mario

in class we use the jigsaw foam mats that join together. Theyre about a metre by a metre and i'd say an inch or two thick. They're good for diving rolls and thats the sort i'm after. My shidoshi said he only paid £40 for these which is roughly equivalent to $80. Sorry when i said 'crash mats' you were probably thinking of the huge thick blue mats like you got in school or at the gym, lol nah thats way overbudget for me.

i need to work on my leaping rolls but my back yard is a concrete surface so i'm not confident a few layers of cardboard will be sufficient to prevent spinal injury.

Thomas G.

Posted on: 2009/1/31 11:13

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
in my opinion, 5-6 layers of think cardboard boxes are enough. Then you can gradually reduce their number until you will be rolling on concrete with no problem. However, pay attention to ordinary rolls first (no "dive"). The mechanics is very similar, but if you cannot with confidence roll on concrete then you should not practice "dive" rolls without instructor.

(BTW: then another step after that we used to do is to pile up some sticks, bokkens, yari , jo on the ground and practice SLOWLY rolling over it until your body can instinctively find safe spots).
mn

Posted on: 2009/1/31 13:40

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
My recommendation is to check if you can use a local gym or school. Perhaps you can talk yourself into getting to use it for a small fee when its free. We used to do that at a local school for awhile and it cost next to nothing $15/month and person or so.

Regards / Skuggvarg

Posted on: 2009/1/31 20:11

Villager
Group:
Quote:

skuggvarg wrote:
My recommendation is to check if you can use a local gym or school. Perhaps you can talk yourself into getting to use it for a small fee when its free. We used to do that at a local school for awhile and it cost next to nothing $15/month and person or so.

Regards / Skuggvarg

Well, that was my original investigation. Unfortunately all nearby fields and beaches are used by local dogwalkers (yuck) and my local gym has an aerobics floor but it's nowhere near soft enough to protect me from the sort of impacts i'd land with during training.I don't think going around schools asking to use their gyms would be appropriate since people in charge of children are often weary of fully grown strange men looking to get access to the grounds.

This is why i'm resorting to finding my own mats.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 5:18

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
An option that works on a low budget......contact a carpet installer and ask them if you can have the carpet padding they rip out from their next install, tell them you will come pick it up......just layer it a few times and your good to go. Could even put some cardboard over that.

Hope that helps.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2009/2/1 11:09

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

tommy_8_ball wrote:
my local gym has an aerobics floor but it's nowhere near soft enough to protect me from the sort of impacts i'd land with during training.

You don't need more padding, you need more technique.

Crash mats are a tool and like any tool can be used well or used badly.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 18:58

Villager
Group:
Quote:

Duncan Mitchell wrote:
Quote:

tommy_8_ball wrote:
my local gym has an aerobics floor but it's nowhere near soft enough to protect me from the sort of impacts i'd land with during training.

You don't need more padding, you need more technique.

Crash mats are a tool and like any tool can be used well or used badly.

lol, thanks, but until i've obtained the technique it can't do any harm to have the type of protection that only mats can provide.

I'm not fond of hospital food.

Thomas G.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 11:04

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor