Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Knives and motorcycle gloves
Frequent Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hidey ho everybody!

Yesturday I was in the local knife shop (The Cutting Edge Cutlery Company @ www.swords.ca) looking for a new sharp. I was getting a little tired of my trusty Spyderco Rescue Jr. It was time for something new.

This spring my main mode of transportation will be my brand new Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic motorbike. One of my requirements for my new knife was that I could manipulate with my armored leather gloves on. After going through, testing their use with my gloves on (draw, open, grip(s), close), about a dozen knives it came down to three. Of those three, the Kershaw Whirlwind came out on top.

I shifted my Spyderco to my secondary position and put my new Kershaw into its new primary home.

By no means is the Whirlwind perfect right now. One problem I have with it is getting my leather-covered thumb between the grip and the blade-mounted release peg (the knife sports assisted opening). Most of the time it's a very smooth (and quick!) draw and open even with the gloves on. From time to time, however, the minimal gap between the peg and the grip proves too small and the open is fumbly. Darren, the owner of the store and a practitioner of BBT and Arnis/Kali, suggested a simple mod for the grip to fix the issue.

He suggested grabbing my Dremel down off the tool shelf and slowly bite some chunks away from grip until my thumb would fit easier into a better activation point for the blade's peg. Once the gap has been roughly created, grab the sanding cylinder for my Dremel and smooth out the rough spots. In short, what I would be creating is a simple thumb recess in the grip (the Whirlwind does not come originally designed with one). I should start on this mod fairly soon.

Darren also makes aluminum trainers for working with an uke on the mats. He shapes them to be safe for both users, but remains true to the original shape of the knife it is replicating. I have a Spyderco Delica training replica that works great and am having him cut me a trainer for my Whirlwind.

Anyway, I'm changing my primary carry position with this new sharp. I carry my Spydercos in my front pocket with clip exposed. I never did like their feel in my waistband. Seeing as the Whirlwind is a point-down folder with assisted opening and that I would have to essentially unlearn my old drawing methods and learn new ones anyway, I might as well go whole hog and reposition my knife as well. It should be a lot easier getting a gloved thumb in my waistband than my front pocket for drawing - now if only I could figured out how to do it all smoothly and invisibly with a leather motorcycle jacket and a pair of leather overpants on.

Posted on: 2003/2/7 2:09
http://www.ntcofcanada.com/
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

And...
Deleted_
And your point is ...

I don't want to be rude, but your topic is better suited for www.bladeforums.com. They will know what to say.

Posted on: 2003/2/7 6:33

Re: And...
Villager
Group:
...nevermind the word for word cross-posting with the forum down the Iway. Even a little re-wording would have kept me from feeling so dirty.

Posted on: 2003/2/7 6:52

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Quote:

Merlin wrote:
And your point is ...

I don't want to be rude,.

But you are anyway.

Quote:
but your topic is better suited for www.bladeforums.com. They will know what to say.

I disagree. Blades are an important aspect of our training - and not just how they apply to the happo. Not every post requires a reply, either.

Posted on: 2003/2/7 6:52

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Quote:

dg wrote:
...nevermind the word for word cross-posting with the forum down the Iway. Even a little re-wording would have kept me from feeling so dirty.

Not every practitioner knows of this place. I decided to share my story with more than one location. Don't like it, don't read it. I even took steps to have the same subject line in both cross posts to prevent people who have already read one from reading the other and wasting their time. Sorry you didn't pick up on it.

Posted on: 2003/2/7 6:55

Point, if there must be one
Frequent Visitor
Group:
If you are wearing gloves, consider the Ken Onion Whirlwind from Kershaw as a carry blade. It may require some customization depending on the thickness of the glove and your personal attributes.

In other words, read the post and think rather than expect to be spoon fed.

Posted on: 2003/2/7 7:01

Re: Knives and motorcycle gloves
Deleted_
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2003/2/7 8:46

Re: Knives and motorcycle gloves
Deleted_
Hi Kim,

I see you take som heat posting this topic. I must admit that every time (never learn huh) I read post of this kind I get a negative feeling. This is propably because I do not personally carry weapons myself. I did before though and back then I favoured the blade before other weapons.

But after thinking about the post(s) for a while I allways become glad that I am able to get this very important reminder that there are people that carry arms out there. And not necessarily for self defence purposes. And it is important to be reminded of this.

Training drawing with replicas is very useful (after all it is like Iaijutsu and Muso Dori). And it gives us the oppurtunity to look for signs of a draw in a safe enviroment.

Personally I have stopped carrying weapons with me. Firstly because it is not legal in my part of the world even if it is not concealed. Secondly I stoped based on the following philosophy:

1: Weapons is not contributing to de-emphasizing the situation but rather tend to escalate the violence of the situation. (If you draw blades the other one might draw guns).
2: If you draw a weapon you have to be prepared to use it - and use it momentarily.
3: I normally carry with me a number of items that can be used as weapons in a dangerous situation. Items that is not weapon graded such as keys, glasses, umbrella, belt, jacket, coins etc. etc.
4: Hatsumi Sensei said that you only need a weapon if you are weak (Ura&Omote).

But this is my opininon that is suitable for my peaceful society. Things may look very different in the enviroment you live in. Never stop thinking and keep on posting. Share your thoughts and keep a good heart.

Besides - a knife is an excellent tool as well as a weapon.

Take care!
Ronald Pettersen

Posted on: 2003/2/7 15:24

Madmen
Deleted_
I hope everyone got Mr. Mitchell's post. My gut still hurts...

Does Tokagure school examine unarmed against armed attackers? Live by the sword.... die by the sword.... preferably not your own....

Posted on: 2003/2/7 20:22

Re: Madmen
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

p_brane wrote:
I hope everyone got Mr. Mitchell's post. My gut still hurts...

I was going to PM him about it... I'm totally lost on that one... anyone care to fill me in on the joke?

S

Posted on: 2003/2/7 23:32

Gurei Dojo | Blog
Facebook

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor