Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Not Again!
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I hate to see this stuff. Gives us guys with a sword fetish a bad name.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mary ... timore-city/bal-sword0915,0,4027961.story

Marty

Posted on: 2009/9/16 16:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Not Again!
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mary ... timore-city/bal-sword0915,0,4027961.story

does this work any better?

Hmm, I can't get the link to connect. here is the text. (or at least part of it)

A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a man who broke into the garage of his off-campus residence early Tuesday, a Baltimore police spokesman said.

According to preliminary reports, a resident of the 300 block of E. University Parkway called police about a suspicious person, department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. An off-duty officer responded about 1:20 a.m. to the area with university security, according to Guglielmi. They heard shouts and screams from a neighboring house and found the suspected burglar suffering from a nearly severed hand and laceration to his upper body, he said.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. Based on the initial investigation, the student killed the man with only one strike of the sword, according to Guglielmi. The medical examiner will make the final determination, he said.

The student told police that he heard a commotion in the house and went downstairs armed with the sword, Guglielmi said. He saw the side door to the garage had been pried open and found a man inside, who lunged at the student. There was no indication that the suspected burglar was armed, however, according to Guglielmi.

Burglars had already stolen two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the student's home Monday, Guglielmi said.

Dennis O'Shea, a spokesman for Johns Hopkins, said all four residents of the house are undergraduate students at the university. Police had released three of the roommates by Tuesday afternoon. The student who wielded the sword remained in custody while investigators worked to corroborate his story with evidence and witness statements. Police have not released the name of the residents, but department sources identified the detained student as John Pontolillo, 20, of Wall, N.J

Posted on: 2009/9/16 16:04

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Hey, if the story given is correct and the burglar did 'lunge' at the sword carrying student, he deserves what he got. Stupidity has its cost and lunging at a sword carrying person really falls under the "stupid" category!! If the story holds up I hope they don't file any charges.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 22:17

Villager
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
Hey, if the story given is correct and the burglar did 'lunge' at the sword carrying student, he deserves what he got. Stupidity has its cost and lunging at a sword carrying person really falls under the "stupid" category!! If the story holds up I hope they don't file any charges.

Other reports say that the local DA is assembling a case against the student.

Unless you live in a state that has the castle doctrine, you can get into trouble if you try to defend your property with deadly force. It is pretty messed up in my opinion.

If this guy had cut down the attacker as he burst down the door of his bedroom, I don't think any DA would touch the case.

In this case, the fact that he picked up a sword and then went to check the garage can work against him. A DA can say that he was looking for trouble. In some areas you are expected to try to flee from danger, even in your own house. So by picking up a sword he is in effect saying that he was expecting trouble but he then did not move away from it. The fact that it was a garage and not where they slept can also work against him. Yes the student was lunged at, but he put himself in that position instead of calling the police and waiting for them to arrive. A DA can say that if he had stayed in the house, he would have been safe but instead he armed himself and went into an area to confront someone.

People need to know this sort of thing before they run into trouble. If you do not live in a state that has the castle doctrine, you run into trouble if it looks like you knew there was a potential threat and yet did not move away from it. Some local governments (like Maryland) happen to think that it is better that all your stuff get ripped off than a person with a criminal record like this guy had dies.

Colorado seems to think differently, which is one reason I moved here.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 1:16

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
In Turkey if we shoot a burglar inside our house we are the ones who are guilty
Bedroom is the exception thou, if you shoot the guy in the bedroom it is ok!

Posted on: 2009/9/17 1:34
-----------------------------------------

Villager
Group:
I have been told that in Maryland you are not expected to flee in your own house.

But the fact that he went into the garage while expecting danger still could be used against him. The DA can say that it was not a case of standing his ground and self defense.

I feel real sorry for this kid. A criminal in this case knows how to play the system. They don't admit anything and force the police to prove that they were even in the same state. Innocent folks tell the police what they did right off the bat and talk themselves into trouble more often than not.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 1:47

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
According to the student the burglar 'lunged' at him. No one else was there to witness what really happened. Unfortunately, the dead guy can't give his side of the story.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 11:02

Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
Setting the complexities of local laws aside for a moment, is there a solid moral or humanistic justification for killing a person caught stealing a game console?

Posted on: 2009/9/18 3:11

Villager
From Abbotsford, BC Canada
Group:
He cut off the guy's hand. Some countries take that as the legitimate and legal punishment for theft (tongue in cheek) The perp had the terminity to die afterwards...

Besides, as reported, the burglar "lunged at him" it doesn't say that he was in the process of stealing anything at the time.

Kid is getting himself into trouble, saying too much to police just like many others who may be quite innocent of wrongdoing. Remember the mantra "I was in fear for my life and defended myself. I not prepared to say more than that at this time without speaking with my lawyer."

The crimminal justice system likes to assign blame, and blame is apparently harder to make stick to the dead. I advise wearing as much teflon as possible...

Posted on: 2009/9/19 4:31

Villager
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
One of the potential issues is that just B&E can turn into this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article ... 3/national/a111013D45.DTL

Doug Tweedy
Bujinkan Shima Dojo
Richmond, VA

Posted on: 2009/9/19 4:47