Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Opinions
Honorary Villager
From tulsa OK
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I've seen several home study courses for BBTJ. It is appealing to someone that is hungry for knowledge and has limited resorces. I'm sceptical though and thought I should get some oppinions on these. I hope this is appropriate.

Thanks

Dustin

Posted on: 2007/12/13 17:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Opinions
Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
I used R.V. Donk Sensei's H.S.C. for a while and I must say that it was very helpful.

Posted on: 2007/12/13 17:26
-----------------------------------------

Honorary Villager
From tulsa OK
Group:
Thanks I'll check into it. Still unsure though. Should something like this be used as just a reference? I have a training group that I attend but I'm just looking for more in depth study. Thanks again.

Dustin

Posted on: 2007/12/13 17:43

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
I used it as I could not find any dojos nearby, but if you have a Sensei teaching, it is always advised to learn it at the Dojo. You already know this I am sure You can ask them for opinion, they are (American Bujinkan Dojo) very helpful.

Posted on: 2007/12/13 22:17
-----------------------------------------

Kutaki Postmaster
From Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
People will tell you that you can't learn properly from a home study course alone, and I think they're right. However, there are situations where a home study course can be helpful, like when you have no other choice or you want another point of view.

I've seen the video from one of them. It was recorded a long time ago and the taijutsu was not the best or the cleanest example to learn from, but I think it could help someone get though the kyu levels if they had no other way. That being said, you'd definitely want to try to visit instructors face-to-face whenever you could to help clean up your movement, feel what it's like to be uke, fill in the holes and see what else is out there. The part about being uke is important because you can't get the feel from a video or from a home study partner.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it tends to be the more commercial organizations that put out home study courses. There are both advantages and disadvantages to being part of a commercial organization, and these need to be weighed against your personality and preferences when deciding what to do when you complete the course. Loyalty belongs in personal relationships but it's not necessary when an organization exchanges DVD's and video feedback/rank for money. Once you have your shodan papers they're good at any Bujinkan dojo, so make sure you end up in the place that's best for you. It might be the same organization or it might not be. Try to stay objective and think for yourself throughout the process.

Had I not been able to find a teacher when I wanted to start, I probably would have gone the home study route as well. Train in whatever way you can. If you keep going and invest enough energy and time in the process, the things and people you need in order to keep going and progress will show up somehow. It's spooky, but it happens. Just train. :)

John

Posted on: 2007/12/14 1:43

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
Hi
the nature of our art is that what you see is not what it really is. So, what you learn from just seeing things recorded on the tape ...

And this is why systematic "process check" with a real teacher is not possibleto replace..

Now, once you were pre-conditioned enough and can infer at least parts of what it is from what you see then things might possibly be different.

peace
Mariusz

Posted on: 2007/12/14 7:19

Honorary Villager
From tulsa OK
Group:
Thank you everyone.

Posted on: 2007/12/14 12:47

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

bujincan wrote:
People will tell you that you can't learn properly from a home study course alone, and I think they're right. However, there are situations where a home study course can be helpful, like when you have no other choice..

No choice? There is usually other options available. Wouldn't you want to learn a martial art from a real teacher who can correct and interact with you than from a video where you just copy what you *think* you are seeing?

You probably have the option of training in another art. I would train in another art with a good teacher if there was no Bujinkan teacher available to me.

Why do something half-assed?

Posted on: 2007/12/14 17:06

Honorary Villager
From Ireland
Group:
Didn't Soke say at Daikomyosai one year that we should do things "Half Assed"?

Just kidding, just kidding, don't bite!

Philip Stanley

Posted on: 2007/12/14 18:32

Kutaki Postmaster
From Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

You probably have the option of training in another art. I would train in another art with a good teacher if there was no Bujinkan teacher available to me.

There are people who have no interest in training in other arts, which means that training in another art is not a valid choice for them ... in which case if there aren't any Bujinkan teachers around, they have "no other choice", so to speak.

Regardless of whether you have a teacher in front of you or not, in the beginning you're still just copying "what you think you see". Of course, it's way better to have a teacher in front of you to help correct your mistakes. I don't think anybody would argue that. But if the choice is home study course or not training at all, why discourage people from using the home study course?

[Edited for clarity]

Posted on: 2007/12/14 22:43

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor