Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Dojo in Iowa City, Iowa?
Frequent Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Recently made a new friend in Iowa and he asked me to looking to Bujinkan training in his area. I have looked through all of the obvious channels (winjutsu) and found nothing, so I am reaching out here to see if there is anyone off the radar so to speak.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Russell

Posted on: 2010/3/30 3:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dojo in Iowa City, Iowa?
Frequent Visitor
From Loveland, CO
Group:
Hey Mike,

That's exactly where I just moved from last year. Unfortunately, there aren't any dojos in Iowa, much less BJK people in Iowa City/Coralville. When I was there, I would drive over to Omaha(about 8 hrs round trip), once a month or so. Here's the website....

http://www.onibujin.com/kurowashi

...and their blog.

http://kurowashi.wordpress.com/

James is a great guy. On weekends that I drove up, he would hold like a mini-seminar, basically a four hour class. Also, I think I remember him saying that he has a long distance student in Des Moines so you have a possible training partner. James trains regularly in Japan with Soke and came up under Chris Carbonaro who also from what I understand gets out to Hombu two or three times a year or more.

Though if you don't mind traveling a little further, in Vermillion, SD you've got Shidoshi Ron Bergman who was my first introduction to BJK. Excellent guy, he's been around for a while. It's a shame that I wasn't more dedicated when I had contact with him because there's really only a few people I've trained with so far that move as well. If you can make it out that far, it's worth the trip. I'd leave a link to his site, but I don't think it's been up and running for a while now, though I'm pretty sure he's still at it.

There was a dojo just across the NW border of Iowa to Wisconsin, after checking into them I learned that they were associated with Jeff Prather's Warriorschool, which isn't really my cup of tea but feel free to check it out. Sorry I don't have a link for that one.

Good hunting!

P.S. Where was your buddy two years ago!?? :)

Posted on: 2010/3/30 4:59

Villager
From Rapid City, SD
Group:
Thanks for the kind words, Carl.

Well, Mike, If you are looking to train in Omaha, I would contact Rob Meijas at <rex1478@aol.com>. As for James, my understanding is that he is no longer under Carbonaro, but operating on his own. I've been living in Omaha for about 8 months, but will soon be moving back to South Dakota. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 14:31

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Thanks guys, much appreciated I will pass all of this info along.

Cheers,

Mike Russell
Bujinkan Madison Dojo

Posted on: 2010/4/1 7:10

Frequent Visitor
From Loveland, CO
Group:
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, Carl.

Not at all, Ron. If you see James and Charlie, tell them Jeanie and I say "hi".

P.S. I didn't mean to imply that James was still assistant teaching, just giving an idea of lineage.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 8:39

Villager
From Rapid City, SD
Group:
no worries.... they had a parting of the ways. I know some of the details, but won't go into detail.... it would be disrespectful.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 14:01

Frequent Visitor
From Loveland, CO
Group:
PM Sent

Posted on: 2010/4/1 15:41

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor