Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Kyudo within the nine schools
Kutaki Postmaster
From Brooklyn - USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi guys, Here's something I find interesting and I think rarely discussed.

Where in the nine schools can one find kyujutsu techniques? Before the Portuguese introduced firearms to Japan the bow was the long range weapon used by everyone. Arguably it was also the first weapon in the kobudo arsenal to become obsolete with the arrival of firearm technology. And so it went the way of becoming practiced for ones spiritual refinement and less for battle even by samurai during the waring states period much the way kendo, aikido, judo etc. are practiced today, "to refine ones spirit" but not really a means to do battle with.

Sensei shows what I would imagine to be Togakure Ryu bow and arrow stuff (but just briefly) in Ninjutsu History and Tradition on page 148-150 and it even shows a detail from a densho with a ninja firing a bow from atop a running boar.

It could be that the shihan in the photo shooting a bow in ichimonji no kamae is Someya sensei but I'm not sure.

I have explored the world of kyudo here in new york at a place called Toko Kyudojo and find kyudo interesting but I want to know more about this aspect within our nine schools.

I would imagine Kukishinden, Togakure, Shinden Fudo Ryu and some of the others would all have techniques for yumi and ya within their densho. Can anyone here share any input or point out a Japanese shihan with exposure to this?

Thanks everyone! Ganbate!!

Posted on: 2014/1/12 23:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Kyudo within the nine schools
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
first post on here in a LONG time, but I thought I'd bump this up cause I too am very interested in this aspect of our art!
anybody out there know?

Posted on: 2014/8/17 12:09

Alan McPherson

Just Passing Through
Group:
I'm interested in this too.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 18:55

Steve Leslie

Just Passing Through
From Slovenija
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Hi,

Since I'm interested in this topic as well I can share what I know.
It's sure that Kukishinden ryu have Kyujutsu in it's curriculum (caled Shajutsu 騎射術). I know since my teacher Ishizuka Sensei showed me the Densho. There is 16 Shajutsu techniques in Kukishin ryu.

Next, I also saw Gyokko ryu Makimono where at the end was explaind Kyujutsu 弓術 of this ryu-ha including with explanation of the Yumi itself (it's asymmetrical Hankyu). I was even lucky enough that Hatsumi Sensei showed me this Yumi in one occassion. I'm not 100% sure but I belive it's the same Yumi as in History & tradition book.

There is also Kyujutsu in Togakure ryu and 3 techniques of this ryu-ha you can see on the pick in the new book Ninpo Taizen page 199 (left hand, right hand & horizontal shooting). Just this year I was lucky enough that Soke, during lunch with him, explained way of shooting. And belive me it's just opposite of how 'normal Kyudo' are done. I know since quite for some time I'm doing Heki ryu Insai-ha Kyujutsu.

If rest of the ryu-ha use Yumi I don't know nothing about.

I hope it helps and can be a starting point for your further research.

Andrej J.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 16:32

Just Passing Through
Group:
Anryu, thank you for sharing this info. It's a pity it isn't being shown, I would love to learn the kyujutsu from kukishin ryu, gyokko ryu, etc.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 22:39

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
I learned about kyujutsu when I was a child. Ever since then I wanted to learn it but in my city it was not taught. Instead of kyujutsu I tool Firearms training in Boston. Now I'm very satisfied because I own license to carry firearms and use it for target practicing as well as for self defense purpose.

Posted on: 2015/6/20 16:55

Just Passing Through
From Lincoln UK
Group:
In the Kukishin Ryu densho it is not Shajutsu, it is Kishajutsu (archery on horseback), and it is actually 15 techniques but the description is cryptic and not helpful at all.

Posted on: 2016/3/17 18:54

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor